These Potato Egg & Cheese Breakfast Burritos are easy to make and great to have on hand in the freezer for a quick and easy nutritious breakfast for you or your little one!
My husband loves breakfast burritos. His main wish for his birthday this year was that I get up early and go pick up a breakfast burrito for him. His love of breakfast burritos seems to have rubbed off on my three year old because he now requests them for breakfast all the time. These Potato Egg & Cheese Breakfast Burritos are his favorite!
There are so many different variations of breakfast burritos out there. I like to keep my recipe nice and simple, especially when making them for my boys. At the end of the post I’ll share a few ways you can mix it up!
Potato Egg and Cheese Breakfast Burrito Recipe Ingredients
- Tortillas – There are so many tortillas to choose from! Small, large, flour, whole wheat, corn, etc… When making them for the boys I like to use a medium sized whole wheat tortilla. It seems to be a great size for all the fillings.
- Eggs – I like to buy large organic eggs. For some reason I prefer the brown eggs over white, but not sure if there’s really much of a difference ha!
- Cheese – You can use any kind of cheese you like, and even mix a few different kinds together. I usually use sharp cheddar because it has such a great flavor.
- Potato – I like to use Yukon gold potatoes that I peel and dice pretty small. I’ve found that sometimes little kids have a hard time eating potatoes with skin on them so I like to peel them. I also cut them small so that they’re perfectly bite size, even for my one year old.
- Spices – I usually season my potatoes with some paprika, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper to give a little extra flavor to the breakfast burritos but you could also keep it super simple and just use salt and pepper. You know what you kids will enjoy.
HOW TO MAKE A POTATO EGG & CHEESE BREAKFAST BURRITO
There are a few steps but they’re all super easy!
- I start by boiling the potatoes until they’re fork tender. I then drain them and transfer to a skillet to crisp them up with olive oil and spices. It may seem like extra work to boil the potatoes and then cook them in a pan, but it’s worth it for perfect breakfast burrito potatoes!
- I then remove the potatoes from the pan and start to scramble the eggs. Once the eggs are just about finished, I add the potatoes back in, along with the cheese. Mix until cheese is melted and let cool a few minutes.
- Next, add about 2 tablespoons to the middle of each tortilla and roll up into a little burrito. If freezing or refrigerating, let burritos cool completely before you wrap in plastic wrap and then place in a freezer/refrigerator safe container until ready to heat up!
REHEATING YOUR BREAKFAST BURRITOS
There are a couple of ways to go about reheating your potato egg & cheese breakfast burritos:
- Microwave – We don’t have a microwave so I haven’t used this option myself, but I would recommend placing your breakfast burrito on a plate and cooking for 1-2 minutes from the refrigerator and 3-4 minutes from the freezer.
- Stovetop – This is the method we usually use. Lightly grease a pan and warm burrito over medium heat, flipping once or twice, until outside is crispy and inside is warmed through. This method words best if your burrito isn’t frozen.
- Oven – Place the burrito on a sheet pan and heat oven to 400 degrees F. Bake burrito until warmed through, flipping once, 10-20 minutes depending on if burrito was frozen.
HEALTHY BREAKFAST BURRITO FILLING IDEAS
- Vegetarian sausage
- Sautéed spinach or kale
- Sauteed mushrooms and onion
- Black beans
- Bell peppers