These Zucchini Pizza Bites are packed with tons of zucchini with parmesan cheese and eggs for protein! They’re perfect for lunch, dinner or a healthy afternoon snack! Freezer friendly too!
It’s back to school season and if you’re like me, you need all the healthy and filling lunch ideas you can get! These Zucchini Pizza Bites are great because they can be enjoyed in a packed lunch, as an easy dinner or a healthy after school snack!
Zucchini was never a favorite vegetable of mine growing up, it has a lot of water in it and is rather tasteless when uncooked. But, in the past few years I’ve discovered that it’s actually really delicious when sautéed until almost caramelized with a little salt. Traditional Zucchini Pizza Bites consist of a big slice of zucchini with tomato sauce and cheese on it, but my version is way more kid friendly!
ZUCCHINI PIZZA BITE RECIPE INGREDIENTS
- Zucchini – You’ll need about 4 cups of zucchini for this recipe.
- Parmesan cheese – I bought a block of parmesan cheese and used the fine side of the grater to grate it. I found that finely grated parmesan mixed in nicely with the other ingredients.
- Eggs – I used the eggs as a binder for this recipe and they also add some nice protein. I have not tried this recipe with a vegan egg substitute but it probably would work. They might just not to stick together quite as well.
- Breadcrumbs – Any kind of bread crumbs or Panko will work. You could also probably use almond meal or crushed nuts if you are grain free.
- Seasoning – I used granulated garlic, dried herbs, salt and pepper.
HOW TO MAKE ZUCCHINI PIZZA BITES
These Zucchini Pizza Bites only have a few ingredients and they’re so easy to make.
- You start by grating your zucchini and then squeezing the water out of it. Squeezing the water out is a really important step because zucchini has lots of water in it. If you don’t squeeze it out then your pizza bites will be really soggy and not hold together well.
- After you sauté the zucchini until cooked through, you add it to a large bowl with the remaining ingredients and mix until combined. The eggs help bind everything together so unfortunately I don’t think this recipe can be made without them.
- Then, you scoop the mixture into little balls and bake until cooked through. They’re small so they don’t take long at all to cook and can be served warm or cold. To get the whole pizza experience you dip them in some warm marinara sauce and they’re delicous!
RECIPE FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Can I make these vegan? I personally have not made them vegan before, but they would probably work out if you used a vegan egg sub and vegan cheese. They might not hold together as well though.
- Can I make these gluten free? Yes! Just sub gluten free bread crumbs.
- Can I use yellow squash instead of zucchini? Sure!
- Can I add additional veggies in? Yes, just don’t add too many that the mixture is off.
- Can I freeze these zucchini pizza bites? Yes, you can freeze in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
- How long do they last in the refrigerator? I would say about 4-5 days in an airtight container.
- Do they need to be heated up? No, you can enjoy them cold, room temperature or you can heat them up in the oven or microwave.
Have another question that I didn’t answer? Ask me below in the comments and I’ll get back to you ASAP!
Why Kids Will Love These Zucchini Pizza Bites
- They taste like pizza! The parmesan cheese and bread crumbs give them a really great pizza flavor and then you dip them in the marinara sauce for the whole pizza experience 🙂
- They’re easy to eat. They hold together really well, they’re not messy and can be enjoyed in just a few bites.
- Even though there is only a few ingredients they have tons of flavor, but at the same time are mild enough for picky eaters.
Why Parents Will Love Them
- Zucchini has a very subtle taste so although they’re packed with 4 cups of zucchini, your kids probably won’t even be able to tell you’re feeding them vegetables!
- Aside from the zucchini, they’re also packed with cheese and eggs which adds lots of protein so these pizza bites will keep your kids feeling full for longer.
- They’re great for meal prep! You can make a batch at the beginning of the week and pack them in your kid’s lunches or re-heat them in the oven for an afternoon snack.
- They’re freezer friendly. Leave off the cheese on the top when baking them and then you can freeze them in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
CHECK OUT EXACTLY HOW I MAKE THESE EASY ZUCCHINI PIZZA BITES BELOW!
LOOKING FOR MORE SUMMER ZUCCHINI RECIPES?
Orange Ginger Zucchini Noodles
Lower Carb Zucchini Noodle Spaghetti Bake
Zucchini Pizza Bites
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 18 1x
- Diet: Vegetarian
These Zucchini Pizza Bites are packed with zucchini, eggs and parmesan cheese. They’re great for snacks, appetizers and even lunch!
- 4 cups grated zucchini
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- 1 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, heaping
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Marinara sauce for dipping
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large sheetpan with a non-stick liner or parchment paper. Grate zucchini on the large side of a box grater and then place grated zucchini in a clean dish towel. Squeeze out as much water as you can.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add oil, zucchini and a pinch of salt. Cook zucchini until soft, 7-10 minutes. Add zucchini to a large bowl and let cool for a few minutes.
- Next, add in 1 cup parmesan cheese, eggs, bread crumbs, and seasonings. Mix until combined and then use a one tablespoon scoop to scoop the mixture into balls on the baking sheet. Use your fingers to press the mxiture down into a small disk and top with more parmesan cheese.
- Bake zucchini pizza bites until cheese is melted and they are cooked through, 12-15 minutes. Enjoy warm or cold with a side of marinara sauce.
Pizza bites can be refrigerated in an airtight container for 4-5 days and frozen in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Snack, Vegetarian
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Zucchini Pizza Bites
Erik B says
Wow, have loved your vegan/plant based recipes. Was shocked to see this recipe with cheese and eggs! Sad!!!
Loved this recipe. Growing up my parents use to make stuffed zuchinni. They hollowed out the zuchinni and made a filling with the remaining and spices. The ingredients were about the same. I like the idea of a dipping sauce too. I think my parents recipe came from Adele Davis. Going to fix it tonight!
She Likes Food says
I hope you enjoy!
Yum! I was nervous I didn’t get enough water out when there was liquid left in the bowl, but they stuck together and were super yumy! I love your pumpkin quesadillas and taco recipes too. I will be back here to try more yummy food. Thank you!
She Likes Food says
I’m so glad they worked out! Thank you!!