These Blackened Zucchini Tacos are a delicious and filling plant based dinner! The zucchini is roasted to perfection with warm spices and enjoyed in a corn tortilla with all your favorite toppings.
These delicious Blackened Zucchini Tacos are my first new recipe to photograph in the new house! I’m still experimenting with lighting and don’t have any of my usual food photography props unpacked yet, but I’m excited to get back to cooking! And super excited to share the recipe for these zucchini tacos with you today 🙂
Zucchini has become one of my favorite vegetables to cook with in the past few years. When raw, it doesn’t have a very strong flavor but if you roast it until browned it tastes absolutely delicious!
How To Make Zucchini Taste Amazing!
I’ve come up with a few tips and tricks to really get the flavor out of zucchini and I will share them with you now:
- Season it well – You don’t have to use a ton of different seasonings, like I did in this recipe, but you do need to season it well. Honestly, when I’m making lazy roasted zucchini I only use salt and olive oil as a seasoning but the salt really does help bring out the natural flavors when roasting.
- Cook with olive oil – I know not everyone loves to use olive oil, but I find that it gives the zucchini a really great flavor. You could also use any other type of oil you like, I just prefer the taste of olive oil when roasting vegetables.
- Get it brown – This is one of the most important parts! When you let it brown, it gets caramelized and that is what you are looking for. The combination of the seasoning, olive oil and caramelization really takes your zucchini to the next level!
Blackened Zucchini Tacos
There are so many ways you can enjoy these Blackened Zucchini Tacos, so here are a few suggestions I have to make them the best ever Zucchini Tacos:
- I like to lightly char the tortillas over an open flame. This gives them a little flavor while also warming them up. If you don’t have access to an open flame, you can warm them in the microwave, on the stovetop or in the oven.
- Guacamole always makes tacos better! I like to spread a spoonful of guacamole on the tortilla before adding any of the toppings. Not only do I love the flavor of guacamole, but it also helps the toppings stick in the tortilla a little better. And, it’s especially a great addition if you’re not adding any cheese.
- I didn’t cook any beans with the zucchini, but I did add a small handful of black beans on top of each taco for some added protein. You can skip the beans or add a different kind of bean that you prefer. You could also throw the beans in with the zucchini to roast, but I didn’t want to take away from these being zucchini tacos.
- Go crazy or be minimal with your toppings – I went on the minimal side with mine and just added some cherry tomatoes, red onion and cilantro. Again, I really wanted the zucchini to stand out so I didn’t want to overpower it.
These Blackened Zucchini Tacos are so flavorful and perfect for a plant based taco night!
- 2–3 medium sized zucchini
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 teaspoon herbs de Provence, or dried Italian herbs
- Corn tortillas and desired toppings: black beans, avocado, tomato, onion, cilantro, hot sauce, jalapeño, lettuce, cheese, etc…
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F. Cut the zucchini into medium sized pieces and place on a large baking sheet. Toss with olive oil and all the spices until zucchini is well coated. Roast zucchini until browned and soft, 20-25 minutes, stirring once.
- Heat tortillas, if desired, add in a heaping spoonful of the blackened zucchini and then add on your favorite toppings. Enjoy!