This Macaroni Coleslaw Salad is the perfect mix between macaroni salad and coleslaw! It’s a great side dish for parties, potlucks and BBQs. This macaroni coleslaw salad is easy to make, packed with tons of vegetables and dressed with a creamy mayo based dressing.
Why You’ll Love This Macaroni Coleslaw Salad!
Macaroni Coleslaw Salad Recipe Ingredients
- Noodles – You can use whatever kind of noodles you like for this macaroni salad. I really like these ditalini, but macaroni elbow pasta would also be a great option. You can easily substitute gluten free noodles in this recipe.
- Vegetables – I added the traditional coleslaw vegetables like, purple and green cabbage and carrot. I also added in some extra veggies: bell peppers (red and green), red onion, green onion and celery. You can also add some fresh herbs if you like. I added parsley, but dill would be great too.
- Dressing – This pasta salad is dressed with a coleslaw inspired dressing. It’s made using mayo, apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard, pure maple syrup, granulated garlic, celery seed and salt and pepper.
How To Make The Best Macaroni Salad
- Heat a large pot of water over high heat until boiling. Add in your pasta and cook according to package directions. Drain the pasta and rinse with cold water for a minute or so. Set pasta aside to let cool.
- Make the sauce. Add all ingredients to a small bowl and mix until combined. You can add a tablespoon or two of water to help thin it out a bit, if you like. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add all of your vegetables to a large bowl and then add the cooled pasta. Pour the sauce over and mix until everything is combined. You may not want to use all of the sauce, depending on how saucy you like your macaroni salad. Serve immediately, or refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Coleslaw Salad Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I use gluten free pasta? Yes, you can definitely use gluten free pasta for this macaroni salad. You should be able to find gluten free macaroni, but any kind of pasta will work.
- Is this macaroni salad vegan? Yes! I did use vegan mayonnaise in my recipe, because that is what I prefer. Regular mayo can also be used.
- Can this salad be made ahead of time? Yes, this is a great recipe to make ahead of time if you’re taking it to a potluck.
- How long will leftovers last in the refrigerator? If stored in an air-tight container, leftovers should last 3-4 days.
- Can I use bottle coleslaw dressing instead of making my own? Of course!
Have a question I didn’t answer? Ask me in the comment section below and I will get back to you ASAP!