I’m calling these Baked Beans, but the beauty of them is that you don’t have to bake them at all! They are cooked on the stove-top from start to finish and only take about 30 minutes to make!
When it comes to summer BBQs I am all about the side dishes. While I always enjoy the main course, I usually fill up my plate with side dishes. I’m also one of those people who is not afraid of their food touching and I usually mix all the sides together!
I have to admit that it is rare that I make homemade baked beans. Sometimes it’s much easier to open up a can than to make sometime from scratch, but these Stove-Top BBQ Baked Beans are definitely worth it! And the good news is that they don’t take much time or effort at all.
For these baked beans I used my favorite homemade BBQ sauce and I seriously couldn’t stop eating them! I taste tested a few spoonfuls while I was making them, had a big bowl for lunch and then had some as a side to my veggie dogs for dinner. These beans have so much more flavor than the canned ones and everyone will love them at your next BBQ 🙂Print
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (24 ounce) jar marinara sauce
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 teaspoons tamari
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 1/4 teaspoons mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 (15 ounce) cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil and onions. Saute onions until softened, about 5 minutes. Next add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add all the remaining baked bean ingredients, except for the beans, and stir until everything is combined. Cook sauce for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the beans to the sauce, stir, and cook for another 5-10 minutes, until beans are heated through.
- Baked beans can be served warm or cold.