These Orange Tofu Chickpea Bowls are perfect for a healthy and delicious meal prep lunch! They’re also great for a quick and easy weekday dinner! Vegan and gluten free!
The fall season is all about hearty bowls and these Orange Tofu Chickpea Bowls are just what you need right now! They’re easy to make, filling, full of flavor and perfect for meal prep or for dinner! Are you sold on them yet? 🙂
Asian cuisine is one that I love eating but I’ve always been a little hesitant to tackle in the kitchen. But, ever since I made these 30 Minute Sesame Ginger Noodles I’ve been loving making my own Asian inspired sauces.
I feel like I need to say that my Asian inspired dishes are definitely not authentic, but they are pretty tasty! I love making sticky sauces that just perfectly coat all your ingredients. And, thankfully I’ve found that they’re actually pretty easy to make!
Back in the day I used to love ordering orange chicken when we went out. It was sweet and tangy and so good. So, I decided it was necessary that I made my own orange sauce and I chose to enjoy it with tofu and chickpeas. You could also use one or the other instead of both but I really love having the two textures in my meals.
I originally made these Orange Tofu Chickpea Bowls as a meal prep lunch that I enjoyed all week, but they’re also great for an easy dinner. All you have to do is cook up the tofu and chickpeas, steam the broccoli, cook the rice and mix up the sauce. There are a few components to the dish but they’re all really easy!
Recipe tips for these Orange Tofu Chickpea Bowls:
- I used white rice for my grain because that is what I had on hand but you can use your favorite grain, or even cauliflower rice.
- I had broccoli on hand but you could also substitute sugar snap peas, carrots, asparagus, etc..
- The longer you let the sauce cook down the thicker it will get. I like my sauce thick, but you will have more of it if you don’t let it get too thick.
- If you really like a lot of sauce on your broccoli and rice too you can always make a double batch. I usually just drizzle a little tamari over my rice and soy sauce and then mix everything together.
- If making for meal prep, you will get four good sized portions. I like to heat up before eating.
These Orange Tofu Chickpea Bowls are perfect for meal prep or an easy weeknight dinner!
- 1 cup rice, or your favorite grain
- 6 cups broccoli
- 1 (14 oz) package extra firm tofu, cubed
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil, or cooking oil of your choice
- 1 tablespoon low sodium tamari
- Optional toppings: sesame seeds and sliced green onion
- 1/2 cup orange juice, I like to use fresh squeezed
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons low sodium tamari
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Cook rice according to package directions. Steam broccoli until desired tenderness.
- Add all orange sauce ingredients to a small bowl or jar and mix until combined.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat with 2 teaspoons oil. Add tofu and 1 tablespoon tamari and sautée until tofu is browned, 7-10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add chickpeas and orange sauce to the pan and cook until sauce is thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon. It will cook down as it thickens so I don’t like to let it cook too long so I have more sauce.
- To each bowl add: heaping half cup of rice, 1/4 of the broccoli and 1/4 of the orange tofu and chickpeas. If you have extra sauce you can drizzle sauce over rice and broccoli and season it with a little tamari/soy sauce. Garnish and enjoy!
If making for meal prep: assemble bowls in refrigerator/microwave safe containers and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Re-heat in microwave or on stovetop.