This Roasted Sweet Potato and Black Bean Kale Salad is packed with so many delicious and healthy ingredients! It’s filling and definitely fit to be a meal of its own.
I’m a sucker for a big loaded salad, especially when it’s packed with sweet potato and black beans! This Roasted Sweet Potato and Black Bean Kale Salad checks all those boxes and more, it’s easy to make and great to have on hand for healthy lunches all week long.
Besides my Sloppy Joe Stuffed Sweet Potatoes that I shared last week, I realized I hadn’t shared a sweet potato recipe in way too long. These roasted sweet potatoes are seasoned perfectly and so great on this kale salad.
Roasted Sweet Potato and Black Bean Kale Salad Recipe Ingredients & Substitutions
- Kale – There’s a lot going on in this salad, but ultimately it is a kale salad. I used curly kale but you could also use dino kale (Italian kale) purple kale or even baby kale. I like kale because it’s hearty and stands up well to lots of other ingredients and dressing. If you don’t like kale, you of course can use lettuce or even spinach.
- Sweet Potato – I kinda use sweet potato and yams interchangeably, so forgive me if you call these yams and not sweet potatoes! You can use any color of sweet potato you like, I usually prefer using the ones that re bright orange in the middle. It’s also up to you whether you want to peel your sweet potato or not.
- Black Beans – Black beans and sweet potato is the perfect combo in my mind! I just used one can of black beans. Any kind of bean would work though!
- Spices – I like to season my roasted sweet potato with lots of flavor! For this recipe I used cumin, paprika, smoked paprika, garlic and salt and pepper. You can use whatever you have on hand.
- Additional Toppings – As I said, I love a loaded salad! In addition to kale, sweet potato and black beans, I also added my favorite pickled onions, cherry tomatoes, guacamole, pepitas, cilantro and sliced radishes. Feel free to make this kale salad exactly like I did or you can add in your favorite ingredients!
How To Make The Best Kale Salad with Roasted Sweet Potatoes
There are a few easy steps to this salad:
- Roast your sweet potatoes: Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F. You can either peel your sweet potatoes or wash them well. Cut them into small pieces and place them on a large baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and add all your spices. Toss until all the sweet potato is evenly coated and place in the oven. Bake until fork tender and starting to get brown and crispy, 25-30 mins, flipping once. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Make the dressing: Add all dressing ingredients to small bowl and mix until combined. Give it a taste and add more salt if desired.
- Prepare the kale: Wash your kale and remove the ribs. Use a sharp knife to dice up the kale into small pieces. I like doing a chopped kale salad so the pieces aren’t too big. Add all the kale to a large bowl and drizzle most of the dressing on. Mix and then use your hands to lightly massage the dressing into the kale. This will allow the kale to soften a little bit and make it more enjoyable.
- Assemble your salad: You can either make individual portions or you can add everything to the bowl and mix together. To make individual portions: add a big handful of the kale to a bowl and then top with desired amount of the sweet potato, black beans and the rest of the salad ingredients. Dress with extra dressing, if desired. To make one large salad: add all of the sweet potatoes, black beans and the rest of the ingredients to the kale and mix until combined. Add extra dressing, if needed.
Recipe Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I have to use kale? If you don’t like kale, you can defiantly substitute lettuce, spinach or another green of choice.
- Can this kale salad be made ahead of time? Yes. If making for a potluck or party, I would suggest assembling everything but not adding the dressing until ready to serve.
- How long will this salad keep in the refrigerator? About 3-4 days. It really depends a lot of how much dressing you add before storing it.
- How should I store this kale salad? In an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Is this kale salad vegan? Yes!
- Is this salad gluten free? Yes!
Have a question that I didn’t answer? Ask me in the comment section below and I will get back to you ASAP!