These Spicy Peanut Spaghetti Squash Bowls are flavorful, easy to make and packed with healthy ingredients! They’re great for a cozy dinner or a vegan meal prep lunch!
I do enjoy summer but towards the end I start really craving cool, crisp fall weather. I came up with this Spicy Peanut Spaghetti Squash Bowls recipe last fall when I was prepping for my Mind, Body Soul Reset Challenge. They’re cozy, flavorful and packed with tons of healthy ingredients.
Spaghetti squash is classified as a winter squash but I love to cook with it all year long. It’s such a great substitute for regular pasta and goes so well in these Spicy Peanut Bowls!
SPICY PEANUT BOWL INGREDIENTS
- Spaghetti Squash – You will need one medium-large sized spaghetti squash for this recipe. I’ll share the best ways to cook your spaghetti squash below! If you can’t find spaghetti squash, or don’ want to use it, you can definitely sub in spaghetti noodles or rice noodles. Or, you could do a mixture of spaghetti squash and regular noodles.
- Chickpeas – I love adding chickpeas into my Asian inspired recipes for some extra protein. You could also use tofu or tempeh instead but chickpeas are great because they don’t require any prep ahead.
- Vegetables – These Spicy Peanut Bowls are really versatile and you can use whatever veggies you have on hand. I used broccoli, red pepper and carrot to keep it simple. Other vegetables that would work well are: mushrooms, green onion, green pepper, cauliflower, snow peas.
- Peanut Sauce – I make my own peanut sauce for these bowls because it’s really easy to make but you could also use your favorite store-bought peanut sauce.
HOW TO COOK SPAGHETTI SQUASH
There are a couple of ways you can cook your spaghetti squash. Here are two of the methods I use most often:
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees F. Place a whole spaghetti squash on a metal baking sheet or in a glass baking container and cook spaghetti squash until you can easily pierce a fork through the skin, about an hour. Let squash cool and then cut in half and scoop out the seeds in the middle. Then, use a fork to scoop out the spaghetti squash.
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees F. Use a sharp knife to cut the squash in half, lengthwise, and use a spoon to scoop out all the seeds in the middle. Place each half of the squash on a baking sheet, cut side up, and rub with a small amount of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place each squash cut side down and roast until you can easily pierce the outside of the squash with a fork, about 40 minutes. Let squash cool and then use a fork to scoop out the spaghetti squash.
MEAL PREP SPICY PEANUT SPAGHETTI SQUASH BOWLS
I love using these Spaghetti Squash Bowls for meal prep lunches! All you have to do is put an equal amount of the spaghetti squash, veggie chickpea mixture and peanut sauce into your meal prep containers and store in the refrigerator up to 4-5 days.
Reheat your lunches either in the microwave for a few minutes or in a skillet on the stovetop until hot. I prefer to use glass meal prep containers because they can go right into the microwave and even the freezer if you want to freeze these. If freezing, store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.