This Vegetarian Lasagna Recipe is packed with tons of veggies and cheese. It’s a comforting, cozy dish that the whole family will love! It’s also freezer friendly.
Growing up, one of my sister’s favorite foods was lasagna and for some reason I hated it. Lasagna was the big meal my mom always cooked for her when she would come home from college and I never understood why she liked it so much. Fast forward to a few years ago and I finally fell in love with lasagna too. Today I’m sharing The Best Vegetarian Lasagna Recipe with you and I hope that you love it too!
I would say that the one con to making lasagna is that it can be a bit of an undertaking. But, I would say that it’s totally worth it! This Vegetarian Lasagna can also be made ahead of time and frozen so all you need to do is pop it on the oven!
The Best Vegetarian Lasagna Recipe
I’ve been perfecting this vegetarian lasagna recipe over the years and I finally came up with a version that was packed with roasted vegetables, tomato sauce, herby ricotta cheese and shredded mozzarella. Basically all the things you want in a lasagna 🙂
What You’ll Need For This Vegetarian Lasagna Recipe
- Lasagna Noodles – I prefer to use the kind that can go straight into the oven without having to be boiled first because you don’t need that extra step! I like to use the traditional lasagna noodles with the wavy edges but you could use the flat sheets also.
- Vegetables – I used my favorite vegetables in this recipe, but you could get creative and use whatever you like! I used zucchini, squash, peppers and onion because they all roast for the same amount of time.
- Tomato Sauce – I didn’t use homemade tomato sauce but I made sure to get a brand that was really flavorful because it will really help to flavor the lasagna.
- Cheese – I used whole fat ricotta cheese and mozzarella cheese. You can also easily make this a vegan lasagna by using vegan ricotta and vegan mozzarella shreds.
How To Make Vegetarian Lasagna
I said before that making lasagna can be a bit of an undertaking but it doesn’t have to be a difficult project.
- I start by dicing up all the vegetables and roasting them on a large pan with some olive oil, salt and pepper. I dice them pretty small so they roast faster and I prefer not to have big chunky vegetables in my lasagna. I chose to roast them because it gives them such a nice flavor.
- While the vegetables are roasting I make the ricotta mixture. I combine ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, an egg and a few herbs and spices. I would suggest putting the egg in last so you can taste it to make sure you like the seasonings.
- Then, I add the roasted vegetables to the tomato sauce and mix.
- Now the fun starts! You begin by putting down a layer of sauce followed by noodles, followed by cheese and then repeat! Top with shredded cheese and bake until cheese is bubbly!
To me, lasagna is such a comforting meal. It’s cheesy and flavorful and goes perfectly with some toasty garlic bread and a big salad. It’s homey, while also being special. It’s a great meal to make if you have a friend who just had a baby, or is in need of a hot meal for another reason.
I like to take a day on the weekend and prep a few lasagnas for the freezer so we can just pop one in the oven for a super easy dinner when I don’t feel like cooking.
Cooking Tips For The Best Vegetarian Lasagna
- To make this GLUTEN FREE lasagna, simply use gluten free lasagna noodles.
- To make this VEGAN lasagna, use vegan ricotta cheese and vegan mozzarella shreds.
- I usually end up needing to break some of the lasagna noodles up in order to fit the pan perfectly. The noodles don’t have to be laid out beautifully in order for it to taste good!
- Lasagna can easily be re-heated in the oven or the microwave.