These Vegetarian Fajitas with Halloumi Cheese are filling, delicious and full of flavor! They’re easy to make and perfect for a weeknight vegetarian dinner.
I’m so excited about these Vegetarian Fajitas today! I’ve seen people cooking with halloumi cheese for years and was never able to find it at the grocery store. Well, I finally got my hands on some and immediately thought it would be a perfect accompaniment for these vegetarian fajitas, and it was!
I’ve seen a lot of vegetarian fajita recipes made with mushrooms, but truth be told, I hate mushrooms. The halloumi cheese adds a nice meaty texture and has such great flavor.
WHAT IS HALLOUMI CHEESE?
If you’re not familiar, halloumi cheese is a cheese that has a high melting point so you’re able to grill or fry it without it completely melting like regular cheese would do. It’s a semi-hard cheese that is usually made from a mixture of goat and sheep milk. Once cooked, it has a spongy texture and a nice salty taste. I just cooked it in a little olive oil without any seasoning because I wanted the cheese flavor to really stand out.
Halloumi cheese is on the expensive side, I paid about $12.00 for a small package, but I’ve heard you can get it cheaper at Trader Joe’s.
THE BEST VEGETARIAN FAJITAS!
There are a few things that make these delicious vegetarian fajitas:
- They are seasoned perfectly! No packed of store-bought fajita seasoning used here, all you need is a few spices to make your own. I like to use cumin, paprika, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder and salt. It helps brown up the veggies and makes them taste delicious!
- Fried Halloumi cheese! We already talked a little bit about this cheese above, but it really is such a great vegetarian replacement for chicken or beef. It has a spongy texture giving it a nice bite, it adds protein and has a nice salty flavor.
- Using just a few simple ingredients for these vegetarian fajitas allows the flavor of the peppers and onions to really shine through, which is what fajitas are all about to me.
- They come together in just about 30 minutes so this is a veggie packed dinner recipe that’s really easy to make!
VEGETARIAN FAJITA RECIPE FAQ
- Can I add extra veggies/sub veggies I don’t like? Absolutely! I’d recommend using quick cooking veggies, such as mushrooms, tomatoes and squash/zucchini. But, you can use whatever you have on hand or prefer.
- Can I use a packed of store-bought fajita seasoning? Yes, I always have spices on hand and prefer to make my own, but if you don’t already have the required spices you can definitely buy a packed of fajita seasoning.
- What if I can’t find halloumi cheese? Good question! I couldn’t find it for years and finally found it at a little small town grocery store. I’ve also heard that Trader Joe’s sells it. The halloumi is kind of the star of these vegetarian fajitas, but if you can’t find it you can add some black beans and sprinkle some grated cheese over top.
- What should I serve these with? I would suggest chips, refried beans or black beans, rice, quinoa, side salad, or simply just serve them by themselves!
- What should I top my vegetarian fajitas with? Anything you like! I would suggest, avocado, guacamole, fresh tomato, cilantro, salsa, cheese, jalapeños, lettuce, onion, etc…
More Vegetarian Mexican Recipes To Try:Print