A comforting and season meal that’s quick and easy to make!
Let’s talk about the elephant in the room, it’s still August and I just posted a pumpkin recipe. But, the past few days I really feel like fall is in the air and I’m so ready for cooler temperatures and comfort food. If you lived in Tucson you’d probably be laughing at me right now, because it’s a high of 105 this week, but I swear there is something fall-like in the air 🙂
I also feel like the early appearance of savory pumpkin recipes aren’t quite as atrocious as sweet pumpkin recipes. Not sure if that’s really true, but we’ll pretend like it is.
This Zesty Pumpkin Mac N’ Cheese is just so good that I couldn’t hold out on you any longer. It’s such a quick and easy meal to make and the pumpkin cheese sauce has so much flavor. I made this cheese sauce last fall and I couldn’t stop eating it.
I’m trying to cut down on my chip consumption lately, because I’ve been known to eat a lot, so I decided to make the pumpkin cheese sauce and put it on some pasta instead and it does not disappoint! It has a spicy kick from the chili powder and a nice warm, comforting flavor from the cumin. It’s the perfect meal for that summer/fall transition 🙂Print
A delicious and seasonal vegan Mac n’ cheese recipe with a little bit of kick!
- 1 pound pasta, your favorite kind
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked in water overnight or boiled for 30 minutes
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup plain, un-sweetened almond milk
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, add all remaining ingredients to a high powered blender and blend for 1 minute, or until smooth.
- Once pasta is finished cooking, drain, add back to the pot and mix in the cheese sauce.
- Best when served immediately. Garnish with fresh herbs, if desired.
Feel free to add some broccoli, kale, spinach or cauliflower for some extra veggies!
- Serving Size: 1/6 of the pasta
- Calories: 199
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 348 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 32 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg