This Zucchini Chickpea Quinoa Salad is tossed in a zingy lemon dressing and packed with vegetables and protein. This delicious summer salad is great for meal prep lunches, a flavorful side dish or a filling afternoon snack. If you have an abundance of zucchini right now, this delicious quinoa salad is the perfect thing to make with it!
Zucchini Chickpea Quinoa Salad Recipe Ingredients
- Quinoa – I used two cups of pre-cooked quinoa in this recipe. You can feel free to add in more quinoa if you like, I just didn’t want the zucchini to get buried in the recipe. If you prefer not to use quinoa, rice or couscous can be substituted.
- Zucchini – I used two small-medium sized zucchini from the garden. You can use a mix between zucchini and yellow summer squash, if you like.
- Chickpeas – I wanted to add some extra protein and chickpeas seemed to go really well with the other ingredients. You could also use white beans.
- Feta Cheese – I had some feta cheese leftover from another recipe and it added a nice creaminess and saltiness to this salad. You can omit the feta, or use vegan feta cheese, if needed.
- Red Onion – I love adding raw red onion to my salads and it adds a nice freshness and crunch to this quinoa salad. If you prefer not to eat raw red onion, you can cook the onion in with the zucchini.
- Parsley – Parsley adds some nice fresh color and flavor to this recipe. I add some into the dressing and then usually add another tablespoon or so into the salad when mixing it all together. Another fresh herb of choice can also be used.
- Lemon Dressing – This lemon dressing is what gives this salad so much flavor! The dressing is made using: olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, maple syrup, dijon mustard, garlic, soy sauce, parsley and salt and pepper. There are a few ingredients, but it is really easy to make!
How To Make Lemon Zucchini Quinoa Salad
- Cut zucchini up into bite size chunks. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and coat the bottom with 1-2 teaspoons olive oil. Add in the diced zucchini, along with a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir everything together and let zucchini cook until browned and softened, about 5-7 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes.
- Add cooked quinoa to a large bowl. Next, add in the cooled zucchini, chickpeas, red onion and feta cheese.
- Add all dressing ingredients to a jar, or small bowl, and whisk together until combined. Pour dressing over salad and mix everything together. Give your salad a taste and add extra salt or pepper, if needed.
- Serve quinoa salad immediately, or refrigerate for up to 4 days. Salad can be enjoyed as a filling lunch or fresh side dish.
Summer Quinoa Salad Frequently Asked Questions
- Is this salad gluten free? The only ingredient that isn’t naturally gluten free in this recipe is the soy sauce that goes in the dressing. You can easily substitute a gluten free tamari in place though.
- Can this quinoa salad be made vegan? Yes, you can either omit the feta cheese or use a vegan feta cheese substitute.
- What can be substituted for the quinoa? If you don’t like quinoa, or don’t have any on hand, you can substitute with any grain you prefer. Rice, or even couscous, would be great.
- Can this salad be made ahead of time? Yes, if you are making this quinoa salad for a gathering, you can make it either a couple hours in advance or up to one day in advance. Make sure to refrigerate in an air-tight container until ready to serve.
- How long do leftovers last? If stored in an air-tight container in the refrigerator, leftovers should last about 4 days.
Have a question I didn’t answer? Ask me in the comment section below and I will get back to you ASAP!