These Baked Sweet Potato Fries are seasoned perfectly and baked to perfection! They’re great for a healthy dinner side dish and kids love them too!
I had been making regular oven baked French fries for year before I tried making sweet potato fries, and now they’re my go to! A huge plus is that not only are they healthier than regluar potato fries, but my son just happens to love these Baked Sweet Potato Fries just as much as I do!
You’ve probably noticed from so many of my previous recipes that I LOVE sweet potatoes! I always try to have them on hand and in my recipes you can usually find them roasted up and put into salads or tacos.
Difference Between A Sweet Potato And A Yam
Ok, I know there are going to be some people out there that say that these are actually yams, not sweet potatoes. I’ve always called these sweet potatoes and will continue to do so no matter what some other people might say! When I think of yams, I think of a root vegetable that is much lighter in color, has a rougher outer skin and does not taste nearly as sweet as a sweet potato.
If you think these are yams, we can agree to disagree 🙂
How To Make Baked Sweet Potato Fries
Baked sweet potato fries are so easy to make! They’re not going to be quite as crispy as deep fried sweet potato fries, or as baked regluar potato fries, but I’ve found that I can get them crispy enough for my liking.
- I always peel my sweet potato before cutting into fries. This is totally up to you. I feel like sweet potato skin can be a little thicker than regluar potatoes and I personally prefer not to include it on my fries.
- Next, you want to cut your sweet potato into fry shapes. The thickness of your sweet potato fries is up to you. I prefer to cut mine pretty thin so that they are crisper and you don’t have to bake them as long. You just want to make sure that your sweet potato fries are all the about the same size so that they have to same cooking time.
- I know a lot of people are opting to cook without oil these days, but oil really helps to crispy up these baked sweet potato fries. You can use whatever oil you like. I’ve made them with olive oil, avocado oil, coconut oil and algae oil and they all work great.
- Lastly, you want to season them up! You can go simple and just use salt and pepper or even leave out the spices altogether if you like. Or, you can mix it up and use a few different kinds of seasoning. I always like to use: salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika. You could also make them more of a dessert fry and add cinnamon and coconut sugar!
These Baked Sweet Potato Fries are seasoned and baked in the oven for a perfect healthy side dish!
- 1–2 large sweet potatoes, peeled if desired
- 2–3 teaspoons oil of choice
- Optional seasonings to taste: salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, cumin, cinnamon
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F. Slice sweet potatoes into thin fry shapes and place on a large baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with spices. Mix until all sweet potato fries are coated and place into the oven. Bake fries until cooked through and crispy, 30-40 minutes, flipping once. Enjoy with your favorite dipping sauce!