These Creamy Vegan Mashed Potatoes with Garlic and Herbs are loaded with flavor and are perfect for your holiday table!
Happy first day of November! This means that Thanksgiving is right around the corner! It also means that it’s almost time to eat your weight in these Creamy Vegan Mashed Potatoes with Garlic and Herbs! Who’s with me? 🙂
At the moment I do still eat dairy, but I’ve gone through a few periods in my life where I haven’t. A few years ago when I first gave up dairy I went to someone’s house for Thanksgiving and offered to bring the mashed potatoes. Mashed potatoes are my all time favorite holiday side so I knew I needed to make them if I wanted them to be diary free.
I wasn’t so great at dairy free cooking back then and I basically only added vegetable stock, salt and pepper. They were pretty dry and not super flavorful. I still feel embarrassed about how they came out! So, even though I’m not vegan myself (although I do eat a lot of vegan foods!) I wanted to redeem myself and make the best Creamy Vegan Mashed Potatoes this year!
Now I’m not claiming that these Creamy Vegan Mashed Potatoes are healthy, but they are delicious and I’m pretty sure everyone will love them, even if they aren’t vegan! They’re loaded with dairy free butter, unsweetened almond milk and lots of garlic and herbs!
Recipe tips for these Creamy Vegan Mashed Potatoes with Garlic and Herbs:
- I used russet potatoes for my recipe because I like them the best but Yukon gold potatoes would make them even extra creamy!
- If you want to make these ahead of time and then re-heat before eating, I would suggest adding in some more almond milk to loosen them up a little bit.
- You are welcome to adjust the amounts of garlic and herbs to fit your palate.
- You can also add more almond milk if you prefer a thiner consistency.
Planning a Vegan Holiday Dinner?
These Creamy Vegan Mashed Potatoes with Garlic and Herbs are full of flavor and perfect for a holiday side dish!
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons vegan butter, I like soy free Earth Balance
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup plain, unsweetened almond milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place cubed potatoes into a large pot and cover with cold water. Add a big pinch of salt (optional) and bring to a boil. Boil potatoes until fork tender, 20-25 minutes. Drain potatoes and add them back into the pot.
- In a small pot or saucepan, add the butter, garlic and herbs. Cook until butter is melted and garlic is cooked through. Add garlic butter mixture to the potatoes, along with the almond milk and mashed until desired consistency is reached. Feel free to add extra almond milk if you prefer your potatoes to be thinner.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately! I like to garnish mine with some fresh herbs and a drizzle of melted butter.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 231
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 129 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 35 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
*Nutritional information is calculated from MyFitnessPal.com and may vary depending on the brand of ingredients you use.