Even when you don’t eat meat, gravy is still an important part of the holiday table! This Easy Vegan Gravy is rich and flavorful!
I’m a huge condiment type of person. I love salad dressings and sauces, so it only makes sense that I need some gravy for my mashed potatoes! Traditional gravy is made using the turkey dripping, but in this Easy Vegan Gravy recipe I just replace that with some flavorful veggie stock and it’s so good!
Are you the type of person who eats all of the food on their plate separately or do you mix everything together? I mix everything together and like to have a little of each dish in each bite. Topping everything with a delicious and creamy gravy helps tie it all together 🙂
The Best Easy Vegan Gravy Recipe
I’ve seen some people use corn starch to thicken their gravy but one thing that makes this vegan gravy so rich and creamy is that I start it off by making a rue. I combine butter and flour in a pan until it becomes a paste and then I add in my veggie stock. Since you’re not using fat from a roast turkey for this gravy, it’s important to still have something to add that fatty rich texture to your gravy.
What You’ll Need For This Easy Vegan Gravy
- Butter – since it’s vegan gravy, I used vegan butter. My favorite vegan butter to use is the soy free Earth Balance Spread (in the red container). I find that it has the best taste.
- Flour – I just used all purpose flour but I’ve made it with gluten free flour before and it works just as good.
- Vegetable Stock – The vegetable stock is what adds the most flavor to the vegan gravy so you want to make sure to use a high quality one that you enjoy the taste of. I like to use Better Than Bouillon paste that I then add to boiling water. I find that it has a nice strong taste and really makes this gravy flavorful.
- Herbs and Spices – I also like to add in some fresh herbs and spices that are similar to flavors you would roast a turkey with.
How To Make Vegan Gravy
- This Vegan Gravy Recipe is so easy to make! You start by melting butter in a small pot and then adding in our herbs and flour. Mix until it becomes a paste, doesn’t take long at all!
- Next, add in your stock and whisk everything together. Simmer over medium heat, whisking every few minutes until gravy has thickened to your desired consistency, about 10-15 minutes.
- Another great thing about this vegan gravy is that it can easily be made ahead of time! You can make it a few days ahead of time, store it in the refrigerator in an airtight container and then just transfer to a pot and heat until melted right before you need to use it. I love anything that makes getting the holiday dinner on the table easier!
This Easy Vegan Gravy is rich and flavorful! It’s so easy to make and can even be made ahead of time.
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, I like to use soy free Earth Balance
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour, or gluten free AP flour
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon vegan worsheshire sauce, optional
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- Place a small saucepan over medium heat and add butter and herbs. Once butter is melted, add in the flour and mix until it forms a paste, about 30 seconds.
- Next, pour in the broth, whisk everything together and let gravy simmer until thickened. You’ll want to whisk often and it will take about 10-15 minutes. The thicker you want it, the longer it needs to be cooked. Gravy is best when served immediately.
Vegan Gravy can be made ahead of time and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, or freezer, until ready to use. Just dump into a small pot and heat until melted.