These Stacked Huevos Ranchers are packed with scrambled eggs, refried beans, cheese and corn tortillas. They’re easy to make and perfect for a filling and healthy breakfast!
Good morning! I did a poll on my Instagram a few weeks ago asking if people still had access, or a good supply, of eggs and most people said yes. So, I decided to post this Stacked Huevos Rancheros recipe for you today!
I am feeling very thankful right now that a friend of ours has chickens and she’s been giving us lots of fresh eggs to eat. This Huevos Rancheros recipe is one of my favorite things to make with them.
What Are Huevos Rancheros?
Simply translated: eggs and beans. Huevos Rancheros is a traditional Mexican breakfast that I’ve seen made many different ways. It does always include beans, eggs, corn tortillas and (usually) cheese. Some recipes, especially in New Mexico, have chili sauce or enchilada sauce on them. I decided to go with the traditional ingredients and then added a few fun toppings.
How To Make Huevos Rancheros
My stacked version is so easy to make! Here’s how I do it:
- I first like to heat up the corn tortillas. This step isn’t necessary but sometimes they tend to be a little dry so heating them with a little bit of oil, or butter, in a pan helps loosen them up and I think it makes them taste better.
- Next, you make your eggs. My favorite kind of egg is scrambled so that is what I used in my recipe. You can make any kind of egg you like though: poached, fried, sunny side up, etc…
- You start by laying one tortilla down and spreading refried beans on top, next add a sprinkle of cheese and then top with a second tortilla. You then add another spread of refried beans topped with scrambled eggs and a sprinkle of cheese.
- Bake in the oven until cheese is melted and beans are heated through. So easy!
How To Enjoy Your Huevos Rancheros
You can go as minimal or as crazy as you want with the toppings! Here are a few ideas that I love using:
- Plain Greek yogurt, or sour cream
- Salsa or hot sauce
- Fresh herbs, like cilantro
- Chili sauce
- Pico de gallo