This Loaded Black Bean Salad is packed with so many delicious ingredients and it’s tossed with a simple lime juice dressing. Make this black bean salad for parties, potlucks, BBQs or just for yourself! Enjoy with tortilla chips or crackers or fill a taco with this flavorful vegetarian black bean salad!
Loaded Black Bean Salad Recipe Ingredients and Substitutions
There are quite a few ingredients in this salad recipe, so feel free to omit what you don’t have on hand and add extras of what you do, if needed.
- Beans – I used one can of black beans and one can of chickpeas for this recipe. I like having them both in, but you can also just use two cans of black beans.
- Corn – Canned, fresh or frozen corn will work. You just want it to be completely thawed before adding it to your salad. I used canned corn.
- Tomatoes – You can use whatever kind of tomatoes you like for this recipe. I found a pack of tri-colored cherry tomatoes and used those. If using cherry tomatoes, either cut them in half or in fourths, depending on the size.
- Bell Peppers – I used a combo of red and green bell pepper. Any colors of bell peppers would work though, including orange and yellow ones.
- Avocado – I used one large avocado, but you could also use two small ones.
- Queso Fresco – I added about one cup of crumbled queso fresco cheese. It mixes into the dressing and makes this black bean salad a little creamy. You could also use cojita cheese or feta instead.
- Radishes – I had some leftovers radishes from my potato salad last week, and they went perfectly in this loaded salad! They add nice color, crunch and a little spiciness.
- Red Onion – Any color onion will work in this salad, I just prefer red onion.
- Cilantro – You can’t have a black bean salad without cilantro! At least in my opinion, haha. If you don’t like cilantro, you could instead use parsley, mint or green onions.
- Jalapeno – I only used about 1/4 cup of diced, fresh jalapeno but you can use as much as you like. Pickled jalapeños would be a great option too, that are a little more tamed than fresh jalapeno.
- Dressing – The dressing is very simple and made using: olive oil, lime juice, garlic, cumin, chili powder and salt and pepper.
How To Make Easy Black Bean Salad
- Add the black beans and chickpeas to a large bowl. Then, add in the corn, tomatoes, bell peppers, radishes, onion, avocado, cilantro, queso fresco, jalapeño and garlic.
- Next, pour over the olive oil and lime juice. Add in the cumin and chili powder. Mix salad together well and then season with salt and pepper, to taste. Feel free to omit any ingredients you don’t have on hand, or enjoy, and add extras of what you do like.
- Black Bean salad is great served immediately, but can be refrigerated for a couple of hours before serving. Enjoy with corn chips or crackers.
Black Bean Salad Recipe Frequently Asked Questions
- Is this recipe gluten free? Yes!
- Is this black bean salad vegan? I did use some queso fresco in my recipe, but you can either omit that or use a vegan version of queso fresco. Vegan feta would probably be the closest thing you would find at the grocery store.
- Can this salad be made ahead of time? Yes, it can be made in advance, but I would recommend not adding in the avocado or dressing until ready to serve.
- How long do salad leftovers last in the refrigerator? Leftovers will last for a few days, if stored in an airtight container, however the avocado may start to brown and the salad won’t look quite as fresh as when you first make it. It will still taste good though!
- How should this Loaded Black Bean Salad be served? This salad can be enjoyed as a side salad or a dip with corn chips or crackers.
Have a question I didn’t answer? Ask me in the comment section below and I will get back to you ASAP!
Looking For More Southwestern Inspired Salad Recipes?Print