This Chipotle Roasted Sweet Potato Salad is smoky, spicy and a little bit sweet! It has so many delicious ingredients and can be enjoyed as a dip or in a taco!
I eat salads all year round, but spring and summer really get me in the mood for a refreshing salad! This Chipotle Roasted Sweet Potato Salad is great because it’s hearty enough for cool spring weather but also refreshing with the pickled onions, cilantro and lime juice.
I recently bought a bottle of chipotle powder and the first time I used it was to make this delicious salad! Chipotle has such a flavorful, distinct flavor and adds some nice spice and smokiness to this roasted sweet potato salad!
Chipotle Roasted Sweet Potato Salad Ingredients & Substitutions
- Sweet Potato – There are a few varieties of sweet potato out there. I like to use the bright orange kind, or the slightly red kind. I wash and peel my sweet potato before dicing but you can definitely leave the skin on if you prefer.
- Chipotle Powder + Other Spices – The chipotle powder gives the sweet potatoes such great flavor and a nice kick! I also season them with garlic and onion powder, cumin and paprika.
- Black Beans – I used two cans of black beans because black beans always go well with sweet potatoes!
- Cherry Tomatoes – Cherry tomatoes add some freshness which I love in this roasted sweet potato salad. You could also dice up regular tomatoes if you don’t have cherry tomatoes.
- Pickled Onions – I love pickled onions and have been wanting to make a salad with them so this was the perfect opportunity! If you don’t have pickled onions you can just use thinly sliced red onion.
- Avocado – Avocado adds a nice creamy texture and always goes well with sweet potatoes and black beans, in my opinion!
- Cilantro – I love using fresh cilantro in my recipes, but if you aren’t a fan, you could use parsley instead.
- Olive Oil – I used avocado oil to roast the sweet potatoes with but I use a little olive oil in the salad to act as the dressing.
- Lime Juice – Fresh lime juice also helps make the dressing and gives this salad a really nice fresh flavor. You could also use lemon juice if you don’t have limes on hand.
How To Make Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
- Start by roasting the sweet potato. I like to wash and peel my sweet potato and then dice it up into small, bite sized pieces. You can make them whatever size you like and feel free to keep the skin on if you prefer.
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F and place the diced sweet potato on a large sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil and add all the seasonings. Mix everything together until the sweet potato is evenly coated and place in the oven. Roast sweet potato until fork tender, about 30 minutes, flipping once.
- Let sweet potato cool and then add it to a large bowl. Next, add in the black beans, tomato, avocado, pickled onions, cilantro, olive oil, cumin, lime juice and season with salt to taste. Mix everything together and enjoy!
Recipe Frequently Asked Questions
- Is this recipe vegan? Yes!
- Is this recipe gluten free? Yes!
- What is the best way to enjoy this sweet potato salad? So many delicious ways! With chips, in a taco, in a burrito, on a green salad, with a spoon or over rice.
- Can I make this salad ahead of time? Yes, but I would suggest leaving the avocado out until ready to eat.
- How long will this salad stay good in the refrigerator? If stored in an airtight container, it should stay good for about 4-5 days. Avocado might brown a little bit though.
Have a question I didn’t answer? Ask me in the comment section below and I will get back to you ASAP!