These delicious Sweet Potato Pie Bars have the perfect amount of spice and not too much sugar. They’re great for breakfast, snacks or dessert and kids of all ages love them!
It’s the season for baking and quite honestly I’ve never been much of a baker. I’ve always been able to easily follow other people’s baking recipes but I’ve never been one to come up with my own. Until recently that is! I’ve finally come up with a few different baking recipes that I’m able to adapt easily for most of what I want to make. These Sweet Potato Pie Bars are made using my favorite Healthy Oatmeal Cookie Recipe and they’re so good!
I had a really hard time choosing a name for this recipe. They’re kinda like sweet potato pie oatmeal bars and sweet potato crumb bars and I even tested them once with pumpkin butter instead of sweet potato, but I felt like sweet potato was more versatile and didn’t require as much added sweetener.
Sweet Potato Pie Bar Recipe Ingredients
- Sweet Potato Puree – I make my own sweet potato puree because I find it to be much sweeter and creamier. You can also sometimes find canned sweet potato puree at the grocery store.
- All Purpose Flour – You could also use gluten free AP flour or whole wheat flour.
- Old Fashioned Oats – Old fashioned oats are perfect for this recipe. I have not tried this recipe with quick cooking oats. Steel cut oats would not work. Quinoa flakes would be a good alternative to oats.
- Coconut Sugar – I usually have coconut sugar on hand and often use that in my baking but brown sugar would work great too.
- Coconut Oil – I use softened coconut oil instead of butter or another type of shortening. Make sure to use refined coconut oil if you don’t want any coconut taste.
- Vegan Egg Alternative – I used a flax egg in this recipe but you can use chia or a pre-mixed vegan egg alternative. I love using Bob’s Red Mill egg replacer.
- Spices – I use cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice in this recipe. If you don’t have pumpkin pie spice you can use a mixture of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves.
How To Make Sweet Potato Puree
Here are two easy ways that I like to make my own, homemade sweet potato puree:
- Peel your sweet potatoes and dice them them up. Add diced sweet potato to a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook until sweet potatoes are fork tender. Drain and then add the sweet potato to a food processor and blend until a smooth puree is made.
- Wash sweet potatoes and use a fork to poke a few holes in them. Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F. Place sweet potatoes on a lined baking sheet and bake until fork tender, about 45 minutes depending on size of sweet potato. Let sweet potatoes cool, peel them and place a the insides into a food processor and blend until a smooth puree is made.
How To Make Sweet Potato Pie Bars
There are a few steps to this recipe but they’re all really easy!
- You start by making the oatmeal cookie/cumble dough. You reserve 1 cup of it for the top and then press the rest of it into the bottom of a large glass baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Mix together sweet potato puree with corn starch, flour and pumpkin pie spice and then spread over the oatmeal cookie layer.
- Crumble the remaining oatmeal cookie batter over the top and bake.