The summer is winding down and if you are lucky you are trying hard to use up the last of your summer produce. Enter these tasty pizza bites!
Unfortunately, I don’t have any fresh produce from a garden but I’ve been making sure to load up on all the zucchini, squash and corn that I can find at the store. Each season has its signature vegetables and I really believe that those vegetables are the theme of the summer. And, of course tomatoes too!
Pizza is a favorite around here so I was really excited to make these Quinoa Pizza Bites because they are much healthier than most pizzas but still have the same great taste. And they make for a great snack! Although it’s hard to eat just one or two… 🙂Print
Quinoa Pizza Bites with Summer Vegetables
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 24 1x
- 1/2 cup quinoa, dried
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup small diced zucchini
- 1/3 cup small diced summer squash
- 1/3 cup small diced red pepper
- 1/3 cup corn kernels, frozen or fresh
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook the quinoa according to package directions. While quinoa is cooking, heat a large pan over medium heat and add the olive oil and onions. Cook for 2 minutes and then add the rest of the vegetables, 1/4 teaspoon salt, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Cook mixture until vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the quinoa, cooked vegetables and remaining ingredients to a large bowl and mix until combined. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray and then scoop the quinoa pizza mixture into each tin using a tablespoon. Sprinkle the top of each with a small amount of Parmesan cheese, if desired. Bake pizza bites for about 15 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Snack, Gluten Free
Medha @ Whisk & Shout says
These bites look awesome and so healthy1 love the zucchini and summer squash- these would be a delicious snack or a perfect protein punch on a salad 🙂
[email protected] says
haha yeah I don’t have a garden either but I make sure to make up for it by buying a ton of produce at the store! 🙂 These quinoa bites sound fantastic!
Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice says
I don’t have a garden this year either, so I’ve been stocking up at my local farmer’s market! These pizza bites look SO good, Izzy! I make quinoa all the time, so I definitely have to try this!
Michael O'Connor says
Going to make these for a special someone tonight! Thanks for the recipe!
She Likes Food says
I hope you both enjoyed them! 🙂
Do you think these could be frozen and reheated? They sound delicious but do they make 24 or serve 24?
She Likes Food says
Hi Barbara, I haven’t frozen them myself so I can say for sure, but I think they would be fine to freeze and then re-heat. They make 24 bites, not servings 🙂