These Sweet Potato Tostadas are made using sweet potato as the base and they’re so delicoius! They’re naturally gluten free and perfect for dinner!
I’ve made tostadas with sweet potato but these are actual Sweet Potato Tostadas! So, instead of using a crispy corn tortillas as the tostada base I used some thinly sliced sweet potatoes that I baked until tender.
You can really top these sweet potato tostadas with anything you like but I decided to go with simple and just used black refried beans, cheese and some pico de Gallo.
Have you guys ever made the sweet potato toast that you make in the toaster? I’ve never actually tried it myself but instead of baking the sweet potatoes you could definitely use that method instead! It would help cut out some fat from the oil too. I just tend to roast everything though 🙂
These Sweet Potato Tostadas are great for lunch or dinner. I even ate them cold the next day and enjoyed them. They’d go great with a big salad or some chips and guacamole.
Recipe tips for Sweet Potato Tostadas:
- You can top them with any kind of toppings you like.
- Sweet potato tostadas can be made up to 2 days in advance and just re-heated in the oven.
- Vegan cheese can be substituted for regular cheese.
Sweet Potato Tostadas
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 1x
These Sweet Potato Tostadas use sweet potato as the base instead of tortillas and taste so good!
- 2–3 medium sweet potatoes, you want to make sure they are uniform in shape so you can slice them evenly.
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Refried beans, I like to use black refried beans
- Shredded cheese, vegan or regular
- Optional toppings: avocado, salsa, tomatoes, cilantro, onion
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. If you like you can peel the sweet potatoes before slicing but it’s not needed. Carefully slice sweet potatoes, lengthwise, into thin slices. You want them to all be the same thickness so they take the same amount of time to roast. They should be about 1/4 an inch thick.
- Lay sweet potato slices on a large sheet pan and brush each side with a small amount of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake sweet potatoes until fork tender, 25-30 minutes, flipping once.
- Turn oven up to 400 degrees F. Spread about 1/4 cup refried beans onto each sweet potato and top with 1-2 tablespoons shredded cheese. Bake tostadas until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.
- Enjoy while warm and top with your favorite toppings.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Category: Dinner, Vegetarian, Gluten Free
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Sweet Potato Tostadas
Here’s a link to the idea for toasting sweet potato slices in your toaster. This link shows sweet fruity toppings, but I’ve been making savory ones instead using chickpeas and vegetables, and of course the black bean tostadas here are great. Almost anything would work! The sweet potato slices are so good toasted and no oil is needed. https://neuroticmommy.com/2017/04/05/sweet-potatoes-are-the-new-toast-5-ways/
She Likes Food says
Awesome! Thanks for sharing that!
What a good idea! Thank you!
Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness says
Love this as a dinner idea! I make Mexican kinda meals so often when I want something veggie-packed and not all that time consuming.
She Likes Food says
Thanks, Nicole! I love how easy Mexican meals are too!