These Vegan Black Bean Tacos are so easy to make and perfect for a quick and healthy weeknight vegan dinner!
I’m not lying when I say that I could eat these Vegan Black Bean Tacos every single night for dinner! They’re super easy to make and you can load your tacos with all the fun toppings you like.
VEGAN BLACK BEAN TACO INGREDIENTS
- Black Beans – I just used canned black beans because that’s what I always have on hand. You will want to save some of the bean juice for your black bean mixture so make sure to reserve the juice from at least two of the cans. If you are using homemade black beans, you can use the bean juice you have from cooking them or some vegetable broth.
- Garlic & Onion – I like to sauté some garlic and onion before adding the beans into the pan. It adds nice flavor but you can omit if you don’t have them on hand.
- Spices – The spices are what makes this recipe flavorful! I use a mixture of cumin, paprika, garlic and onion powder. You could also add in some smoked paprika or chili powder if you like.
- Corn Tortillas – I love using corn tortillas for my tacos. I heat and char them a bit over a gas burner. You could also heat them in the microwave or in a pan with a little bit of oil if you like.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Can I use pinto beans instead of black beans? Absolutely!
- Is it ok if I adjust the spices in the recipe? Yes, you can either use less or more, depending on what flavor you like.
- Can the black bean mixture be frozen? Yes, I would suggest cooling completely and then freezing in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
- How much reserved bean liquid should I add? This really depends on the texture you want. I found that I needed more than I had originally thought because the beans do soak up some of it and you don’t want them to be dry.
- Can I use the bean mixture for something else besides tacos? Yes! I have a black bean enchilada recipe coming up using them. You could also use them as a bean dip, in burritos or on nachos.
VEGAN TACO TOPPING IDEAS
There are so many delicious topping choices you can add to your vegan black bean tacos! Here are just a few that I like to use:
- Salsa/Hot Sauce/Jalapenos (I like to use pickled jalapeños)
- Onion/Pickled Onions
- Cilantro/Other fresh herbs
- Fresh lime juice
What are you favorite taco toppings?
LOOKING FOR OTHER DELICIOUS VEGAN TACO RECIPES?
- BBQ Cauliflower Tacos with Lime Slaw
- Crispy Potato Tacos
- BBQ Black Bean Tacos
- Buffalo Cauliflower Tacos with Ranch Slaw
- Blackened Zucchini Tacos
Easy Black Bean Tacos
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Diet: Vegan
These Vegan Black Bean Tacos are so easy to make and perfect for a vegan weeknight dinner!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cans black beans, drained with liquid reserved
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 Corn tortillas
- Optional toppings: cabbage, onion, avocado, tomato, salsa
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add olive oil and onions. Cook for a few minutes, add garlic and cook another 30 seconds.
- Add the black beans and all the spices. Mix well and roughly mash the beans with a potato masher or fork. Slowly add in the reserved bean liquid until desired consistency is reached. I used about 3/4 cup. Mix well and cook until beans are heated through.
- Warm up corn tortillas on the stove and fill each with a big spoonful of black bean mixture and top with desired toppings.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Dinner, Vegan
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Vegan Black Bean Tacos
You have the BEST taco recipes! I love your potato tacos and can’t wait to try this one! I love how you amp up a can of black beans. We could eat tacos several times a week also.