These Vegan Lentil Meatloaf Cups are the perfect main dish for your holiday table!
Can you believe that Thanksgiving is next week?! It’s still pretty warm here so I’m not quite feeling in the holiday spirit yet, but hopefully I will soon! I am fully prepared to eat all the holiday food though 🙂
In the past I haven’t done a great job sharing holiday recipes, but this year I’m ramping it up and have some tasty ones prepared! Last week I shared my Maple Sesame Ginger Roasted Brussels Sprouts and today I’m excited to share these Vegan Lentil Meatloaf Cups.
I feel like holiday sides are pretty easy to make vegetarian, but the main course can be a little trickier. Sometimes I’m tempted to go completely untraditional and make pizza, but I always know I’ll regret it, and I’m pretty sure my husband would cry haha.
These would also be great for a cozy winter dinner, you certainly don’t have to just enjoy them during the holidays 🙂Print
A filling and flavorful vegetarian/vegan holiday main dish!
- 1 1/2 cups brown lentils, dry
- 3 cups vegetable broth, or water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup small diced carrot
- 1 cup small diced celery
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs, gluten free if necessary
- 1 tablespoon ketchup, plus more for the top
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax mixed with 2 1/2 tbsp water, let sit for 2-3 minutes)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Cooking spray
- Place the lentils and broth in a medium saucepan and cover with a lid. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and simmer until lentils are tender and liquid is gone, 20-25 minutes.
- While lentils are cooking, heat a large pan over medium heat and add olive oil, diced vegetables, thyme and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook vegetables until tender, about 12 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Add the cooked veggies to a food processor and blend until they’re minced, about 1 minutes. Next, add the lentils and give it a few small pulses. You want some of the lentils to still be whole.
- Add lentils and veggie mixture to a large bowl and then add in the bread crumbs, ketchup, flax egg, parsley, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Mix until everything is combined.
- Spray a standard size muffin tin with cooking spray. Use a 1/4 scoop to scoop the mixture into the muffin tin. You should get 12 of them. Flatten the top of each meatloaf and squeeze about 1 teaspoon of ketchup on top of each.
- Place the meatloaves in the oven and bake until the tops are slightly crispy, about 20-25 minutes. Let them cool in the muffin tin for a few minutes before removing.