These Vegan Fajita Bowls with Avocado Sauce are hearty, healthy and delicious! They’re easy to make and topped with a creamy and flavorful avocado sauce.
I’ve always loved bell peppers so it’s no surprise that I also love fajitas! I have a few different fajita inspired recipes on here already, but these new Vegan Fajita Bowls with Avocado Sauce are next level and perfect for summer.
I’m all about packing as many veggies into my meals as I can and fajitas are the perfect meal for that. I even used cauliflower rice instead of regular rice to cut the carbs a little and add more healthy veggies.
Vegan Fajita Bowl Recipe Ingredients
- Peppers & Onion – I used red and orange bell peppers because they’re nice and sweet but green or yellow bell peppers would also be great. You can use any kind of onions you like, I used red onion.
- Fajita Seasoning – I mixed up my own fajita seasoning using cumin, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder and salt. You can make your own or use store-bought.
- Cauliflower Rice – I made a quick pan of cilantro lime cauliflower rice for my fajita bowls but regular rice, or even quinoa, would be great also.
- Black Beans – I just used a can of black beans. I didn’t bother seasoning them because there is so much flavor in the other ingredients. You can also buy cans of seasoned black beans or make your own.
- Corn Tortillas – I added some corn tortillas that I charred on the stovetop but corn chips would be a great additional too.
- Avocado Sauce – This avocado sauce makes these fajita bowls so flavorful! It is made with avocado, tahini, parsley, cilantro, green onion, jalapeño, garlic, lime juice, salt, red pepper flakes and water.
- Optional Toppings – I also topped my vegan fajita bowls with some extra guacamole and salsa. Feel free to add your favorite fajita toppings!
How To Make The Best Fajita Bowls
- Start by making your fajita mixture. Thinly slice your bell peppers and onion and add them to a pan with some olive oil. Add in the fajita seasoning and mix together well. Cook until peppers and onion are softened and browned.
- Prepare your rice. I just sautéed a bag of cauliflower rice until cooked through and then mixed in some salt, lime juice, lime zest and chopped cilantro. You can keep your rice plain if you like.
- Add all avocado sauce ingredients to a blender and blend until a sauce has formed.
- Assemble your vegan fajita bowls: Add a couple of spoonfuls of the fajita veggies and one large spoonful of rice and beans to your bowl. Next, add your tortillas or chops, if desired and top off with a few spoonfuls of the avocado sauce. Top with any extra toppings your desire and enjoy!
Fajita Bowl Recipe Frequently Asked Questions
- Is this recipe vegan? Yes! If you are not vegan, feel free to add cheese or sour cream.
- Is this recipe gluten free? Yes!
- Can I use regular rice instead of cauliflower rice? Of course!
- Can I make this meal ahead of time and use it for meal prep? Yes, it would be great for meal prep! The sauce does have avocado in it, which doesn’t always keep well over a few days, but it should be ok if you store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Is this recipe freezer friendly? I haven’t frozen it myself yet, but all of the separate components are freezer friendly so I would think so. I would not recommend freezing the sauce though.
- How long will leftovers keep in the refrigerator? For about 4 days, stored in an airtight container.
Have a question that I didn’t answer? Ask me in the comment section below and I will get back to you ASAP!
Looking For More Mexican Inspired Vegan Recipes?Print
Vegan Fajita Bowls with Avocado Sauce
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Diet: Vegan
These Vegan Fajita Bowls with Avocado Sauce are hearty, healthy and flavorful!
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cauliflower rice or regular rice
- 2 cups black beans
- Optional additions: corn tortillas, tortilla chips, salsa, guacamole, cheese, sour cream, fresh herbs, etc…
- 1 large avocado
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 handful fresh cilantro
- 1 handful fresh parsley
- 1 cup diced green onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeno, or regular ones
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, plus zest from lime
- Salt, to taste
- Water or pickled jalapeno juice
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add a couple teaspoons olive oil and the sliced peppers and onions. Add the cumin, paprika, salt, onion and garlic powder and mix everything together well. Cook until peppers are softened and starting to brown, 10-12 minutes.
- Prepare your rice: If using cauliflower rice, sauté until cooked through. Let cool for a few minutes and then mix in some salt, lime juice and cilantro (optional!). If using regular rice or quinoa: cook completely and season if desired.
- Make your avocado sauce by adding sauce ingredients to a blender, plus about 1/2 cup of water. Turn blender on and slowly add in extra water, or the juice from your pickled onions until desired consistency is reached. I probably used about 1 1/2 cups total of liquid.
- Assemble your vegan fajita bowls: To each bowl, add 1/4 of the fajita veggies, 1/2 cup rice, 1/2 cup black beans, tortillas or chips and then top with avocado dressing and anything extra you like!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Dinner, Vegan
- Method: Stovetop, Blender
- Cuisine: Mexican Inspired
Keywords: Vegan Fajita Bowls
Leave a Reply