This Detoxifying Green Smoothie Recipe is packed with so many beneficial fruits and veggies! It’s a great way to start the day off and so easy to make. Perfect for meal prep too!
Are you a smoothie person? We’ve been making them a lot in our house lately and I always feel better when I’ve had a big green smoothie for breakfast. This detoxifying green smoothie recipe is a great way to start the day and is packed with so many goodies!
Smoothies are great because there are so many different flavors you can make and there’s something for everyone. They’re awesome for getting a good serving of both fruits and vegetables in before you even start your day. If you love smoothies make sure you check out my post all about how to make the perfect smoothie!
Green Smoothie Ingredients and Benefits
- Kale/Spinach – You can use kale, spinach or any other dark leafy green that you like. Dark leafy greens are low in calories and really high in nutrients. They also help lower cholesterol.
- Grapefruit – Grapefruit is loaded with vitamins A, C and B1. Enzymes found in grapefruit help break down fat and can aid in weightless. It also contains good amounts of fiber and potassium.
- Cucumber – Cucumbers are refreshing and hydrating. They also contain fiber and can help with bone heath.
- Beet – Beets are high in antioxidants and rich in nutrients. They also contain betaine which helps the liver rid itself of toxins.
- Ginger – Ginger helps settle the stomach and help get rid of nausea.
- Turmeric – Turmeric contains Curcumin which is a powerful anti-inflammatory that works in the liver.
- Chia Seeds – Chia seeds
- Oats – Oats are high in fiber and contain an anti-inflammatory compound.
- Banana – I love adding bananas to my smoothies because they’re a natural sweetener and they add thickness. Bananas also help fight against gas and water retention which helps alleviate bloating.
- Dates – Dates are totally optional, I just added a few to help sweeten the smoothie.
- Plant Based Milk – I used plain, un-sweetened almond milk because that’s what I usually have on hand but you can use any kind of plant based milk you prefer.
Health Benefits Of A Green Smoothie
The health benefits of a green smoothie really depend on what ingredients you put into it. When making a green smoothie you want to make sure to load it with healthy ingredients and avoid too much added sugar.
Smoothies are great because you can get in a few servings of fruits and vegetables before the day even starts. There are a few things that can make your smoothie green and they include: kale, spinach, collard greens, Swiss chard, bok choy, dandelion greens, mustard greens, arugula and turnip greens. Spinach or kale are good to start off with because they are more mild in flavor than some of the others.
How To Make The Perfect Smoothie
Smoothies are really easy to make! Here are a few tips for making your smoothie extra delicious:
- Use a ripe banana to add extra sweetness.
- Use frozen fruit to make the smoothie thick, almost like a milkshake.
- Don’t be afraid to mix lots of different flavors together!
- If you prefer your smoothie to be cold, just throw a few ice cubes in. It also helps thicken the smoothie.
- Make sure to blend for about a minute to make sure everything is blended and smooth with no chunks.
Smoothies For Meal Prep
It may seem a little silly to prepare your smoothies ahead of time since they don’t take long to make, but it can be really helpful! I especially love meal prepping my smoothies when they have quite a few ingredients, like these detoxifying green smoothies.
All you need to do is lay out some freezer friendly bags, or jars, and add all you ingredients (excluding the almond milk). Close tightly and place in the freezer until ready to use. When you’re ready for your smoothie, just dump the contents of your bag into the blender with your milk and blend until smooth!