These Mexican Chopped Salad Pitas are packed with so many healthy ingredients and they’re easy to make! They’re great for lunch or a light dinner. They’re vegan and can easily be made gluten free by using gluten free pita!
I know it’s not quite summer yet but the weather has been getting warmer and I’ve been craving meals that have lots of fresh veggies in them. These Mexican Chopped Salad Pitas are great because they don’t require any cooking and they’re great for lunch or dinner!
I based this recipe off of my popular Mediterranean Chopped Salad Pitas because they’re one of my favorite easy meals. They’re basically lots of veggies mixed with a flavorful dressing and enjoyed in a warm pita.
Mexican Chopped Salad Pita Recipe Ingredients
- Lettuce – I used romaine lettuce because it has a nice crunch and holds up well. You could use any lettuce you like, or even kale and spinach.
- Black Beans – I love black beans but pinto beans or garbanzo beans would work as well.
- Tomato – I used a medium sized tomato that I chopped into bite size pieces. Cherry or grape tomatoes would also work.
- Corn – I had some frozen corn that I thawed. Fresh corn would be great if you have it!
- Avocado – I used 1 large avocado. You could also just spread some guacamole on your pita before putting the filling on. If making this salad ahead of time, leave out the avocado until ready to serve.
- Vegan Queso Fresco – I used a very similar recipe to my Vegan Feta Cheese. If not vegan, you can use real queso fresco or even feta or goat cheese would be good!
- Onion – I used red onion but any kind of onion would be good. You could even use green onion, or scallions.
- Cilantro – Fresh cilantro is great in this recipe but if you don’t like cilantro you could omit it or replace it with parsley or another fresh herb you like.
- Jalapeno – I diced up some pickled jalapeños because they’re my favorite but a fresh jalapeño would work great too.
CUMIN LIME VINAIGRETTE RECIPE
This Cumin Lime Vinaigrette might be my favorite thing about these Mexican Chopped Salad Pitas! I first tasted cumin lime dressing at a restaurant in town and then immediately came home to replicate it. You just need a few ingredients to make this tangy and sweet dressing. The cumin also gives it such a great taste!
- Olive Oil – I use extra virgin olive oil but another neutral flavored oil would also work. I have never tried to make this dressing oil free so I don’t have any advice on how to do that.
- Lime Juice – Fresh lime juice is best! You’ll need 2-3 limes depending on how juicy they are.
- Cumin – I had never used cumin in a salad dressing before but it’s so good with the limes. You don’t need too much but you can always add more if you prefer.
- Garlic – 1-2 cloves of fresh garlic. I like to grate my garlic when using in salad dressing so there aren’t big chunks.
- Dijon Mustard – Dijon mustard helps emulsify the dressing and adds a nice tang.
- Maple Syrup – You want to use pure maple syrup. You could also use honey, if not making vegan.
- Salt and Pepper – Salt and pepper to taste. You will probably need more salt than you think because it will be used to season the entire bowl of Mexican chopped salad.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Does this keep well in the refrigerator? If you mix in the dressing it won’t keep very well at all, but if you keep the dressing separate it should keep for about 4 days. I also wouldn’t add the avocado in if you are planning on not eating it right away.
- Can I make this ahead of time? See answer above for tips!
- Do I have to eat it in a pita? No! You can enjoy this chopped salad anyway you want. You could eat it by itself, enjoy with crackers or chips.