These Potato Tacos with Spicy Ranch Dressing are super delicious and great for your next Taco Tuesday! The potatoes are crispy on the outside and perfectly soft on the inside. They’re coated with a homemade seasoning blend and loaded into the tortillas with the spicy ranch, guacamole and your favorite taco toppings. Great for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
Potatoes are a staple around here and one of the reasons I love them so much is because they are super versatile to cook with. You can make french fries, mashed potatoes or these delicious Potato Tacos with Spicy Ranch! These tacos are perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
I do already have a Crispy Potato Taco recipe on here, but I decided to kick things up a notch and add some spicy ranch this time! The spicy ranch is inspired by the sauce on the cheesy Gordita crunch at Taco Bell and it goes so well with the seasoned potatoes.
Potato Tacos with Spicy Ranch Recipe Ingredients
- Potatoes – I used russet potatoes for this recipe because they are pretty mild in flavor and they crisp up really nicely in the pan. You can use any kind of potatoes you like though.
- Seasonings – I seasoned the potatoes with a homemade seasoning mix that included: cumin, paprika, granulated garlic, salt and pepper. You can go as simple or as crazy as you like with the seasonings.
- Oil – You do need a couple of tablespoons of oil in order to get the potatoes nice and crispy in the pan. A neutral flavored oil, like canola, would be great but all I had on hand was olive oil and that worked well too.
- Spicy Ranch – The spicy ranch is made using sour cream, mayonnaise, ranch seasoning, hot sauce, garlic, lime juice and salt. You can substitute greek yogurt for the sour cream if you like. You could also mix bottled ranch dressing with hot sauce to make things a little easier.
- Tortillas – I used corn tortillas that I heated up on the open flame of the gas stove. You can use either corn tortillas or flour tortillas for this recipe.
- Toppings – Aside from the spicy ranch, I topped my tacos with guacamole, lettuce, tomato, purple cabbage and fresh cilantro. Use your favorite taco toppings!
How To Make Perfect Potato Tacos with Spicy Ranch
- Wash and peel your potatoes and then cut them into bite size pieces. You can make them as small or as large as you like, just try to make sure they are all about the same size so they all finish cooking at the same time.
- Add diced potatoes to a large pot with a big pinch of salt (optional) and then cover them with cold water. Place them over medium-high heat on the stovetop and cover with a lid until water comes to a boil. Boil potatoes until fork tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain well in a colander and then pat dry with a clean kitchen towel.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add about 1-2 tablespoons of oil. The more oil you add, the crispier they will get, but it’s up to you how much you want to use. Add in the cooked potatoes and all the spices, salt and pepper. Mix well until all potatoes are coated with the spices and then use your spatula to press the potatoes down lightly into a single layer, covering the entire pan.
- Allow potatoes to cook for about 4-5 minutes, until crispy, then flip the potatoes and cook another 4-5 minutes on the other side. The longer you cook them, the crispier they will get.
- Make the spicy ranch while the potatoes are cooking. Add all the ranch ingredients to a small bowl and mix until combined. Give it a taste and adjust ingredients as needed. I like the spicy ranch to be a little thick so I can spread it on the bottom of the tortilla and then I thin some out with extra lime juice or water so I can easily spoon it over the top of the tacos.
- Assemble your tacos: I like to heat my tortillas over an open gas stove flame and then spread the bottom with a layer of guacamole and a big spoonful of the spicy ranch. Add a heaping spoonful of the potatoes and then top with your favorite taco toppings and a bit more spicy ranch, if desired. Enjoy!
Spicy Potato Taco Recipe Frequently Asked Questions
- Are these tacos gluten free? Yes! Just make sure to use naturally gluten free corn tortillas.
- Can I make these tacos vegan? Yes, the only thing that isn’t vegan is the spicy ranch dressing. It can easily be made vegan by using vegan sour cream and vegan mayonnaise.
- How spicy are these tacos? You can make the ranch as spicy as you like, just by adding more or less hot sauce to it. If you aren’t a fan of spicy food, you can completely leave the hot sauce out of the ranch sauce.
- Can the potatoes be roasted? You can roast the potatoes instead of boiling them and cooking them in a frying pan. They will have a different texture, but they will still be great!
- Can I use homemade ranch seasoning for the spicy ranch sauce? Yes, I have a “healthy” homemade ranch seasoning recipe here, if you are interested.
- How long do leftovers last? The potatoes will last about 4-5 days in the refrigerator, in an airtight container.
- What should I serve these tacos with? You can serve them with a side of chips and dip or rice and beans.
Have a question I didn’t answer? Ask me in the comment section below and I will get back to you ASAP!