This Roasted Broccoli Soup is so easy to make and you only need a few ingredients! It’s dairy free, super creamy and filled with so much flavor.
It’s officially soup season around here and I’m so excited! Today I’m sharing this super easy Roasted Broccoli Soup that I’ve been making a lot lately. You only need a few ingredients but it has such great flavor from the roasted broccoli.
Last winter I made a Roasted Butternut Squash Soup and it was amazing. All I did was roast the butternut squash with some onion and garlic and then I blended it with vegetable broth. This year I decided to do the same with broccoli and it did not disappoint.
INGREDIENTS FOR ROASTED BROCCOLI SOUP
- Broccoli – I like to use fresh broccoli and cut it into small florets so it roasts up quickly and there’s more surface area on the broccoli to get caramelized. You could use frozen broccoli if you want, just throw it on the pan frozen and roast like normal. It may need a little more time since it will give off more liquid.
- Red Onion – When red onion browns in the oven it becomes sweet and delicious and adds such great flavor to this soup.
- Garlic – You want to use fresh garlic cloves and just roast them in the oven with the broccoli and onion and the garlic will soften up and add a nice mild garlic taste to the soup.
- Olive oil, Salt & Pepper
CREAMY VEGAN BROCCOLI SOUP
This Roasted Broccoli Soup gets so creamy when you blend it up that it reminds me of a cream of broccoli soup, but without the cream!
A lot of creamy vegan soups use cashews or coconut cream, which is great, but those ingredients do add a little extra fat to the soup. I’ve found that just blending the roasted vegetables with some broth makes this soup so creamy that no additional ingredients are needed. Make sure you use a high powered blender and blend for 1-2 minutes to get it really creamy.
BROCCOLI SOUP FAQ
- Can I use frozen broccoli? Yes, no need to thaw first either. Just use the frozen broccoli as you would use the fresh broccoli. I may need a little more time to roast since it will give off some extra liquid.
- Is this soup good for meal prep? Totally! Just place the soup in a glass meal prep container and you can easily re-heat it in the microwave or on the stovetop.
- What should I serve this soup with? I like to add some roasted broccoli and croutons to the top, but you could also serve with fresh bread or even a salad.
- Can this roasted broccoli soup be frozen? Yes! Just freeze in an airtight container for up to 6 months. Thaw in the refrigerator and heat in a pot.
- Can I add cheese? Of course! I kept this soup vegan but it would be great with some sharp cheddar cheese melted into it.
- Can I use milk instead of vegetable broth? You can! You might just need to add a little more salt and pepper since it won’t get the salt from the broth.