This Vegan Black Bean Soup is easy to make and packed with so much flavor! It’s a great vegan one pot meal that can also be frozen!
I’ve basically been living on this Vegan Black Bean Soup lately and I’m not mad about it! I even just enjoyed my last bowl of it for breakfast 🙂 I love black beans and I love thick and creamy soups, so you can image that this is one of my favorite soup recipes.
It’s starting to get cooler outside and that means that soup weather is upon us! Growing up, I was a big soup hater but as I’ve gotten older I’ve figured out that I love creamy, blended soups and the thicker the better! If you like thick, flavorful soup then this vegan black bean soup is for you.
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST VEGAN BLACK BEAN SOUP
I’ve made a lot of black bean soups in the past few years and there are a few reasons why this is my favorite recipe yet:
- It’s packed with vegetables! You can really use any kind of veggies you like, I used onion, garlic, red and green bell pepper, carrot and celery. When you cook the veggies down until they’re soft and starting to caramelize they give so much flavor to the soup! It’s also a great way to sneak in veggies because once the soup is blended up you could never tell that they’re in there.
- So much flavor! It’s ok to go heavy on the spices with this soup! The black beans become nice and thick once blended up so you may need more spices than you would think. It’s also easy to add a few spices and taste as you go. You can always add more in but you can’t take them out 🙂
- It has a nice smoky flavor! Smoked paprika is one of my favorite spices in vegetarian cooking. It adds a really nice smoky flavor that isn’t over the top and doesn’t taste artificial, like some liquid smoke does. A little goes a long way and it adds such great flavor.
SHOULD I USE CANNED OR DRY BEANS?
It’s totally up to you! I used canned beans because they’re super easy and I always have them on hand. But, if you prefer to use dry beans you can do that as well. I would suggest preparing them how you normally do and then adding them into the soup at the same time you would add the canned beans.
Unfortunately, I don’t know enough about cooking dry beans to give instructions on how to cook them into the soup from dry.
HOW TO STORE YOUR BLACK BEAN SOUP
This vegan black bean soup can be stored in the refrigerator or the freezer. I usually eat mine in a few days so I just store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. But, you could also make a big batch and freeze it. I would suggest letting it cool completely and then putting it in a freezer friendly zip lock bag. Soup can be frozen up to 6 months. To thaw: place on the counter or in the refrigerator until thawed and then heat up in a pot on the stove or in the microwave.
FAVORITE BLACK BEAN SOUP TOPPINGS
- Red onion or green onion
- Hot Sauce
- Crackers, chips or tortillas
- Dairy free sour cream or cheese, or regular if not making vegan
- Jalapeno, fresh or pickled
Check our more vegan soup recipes here:
Easy Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
Southwestern Butternut Squash and White Bean Soup
Easy Falafel Soup with Tamari CroutonsPrint
Vegan Black Bean Soup
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Diet: Vegan
This Vegan Black Bean Soup is creamy, thick and full of flavor!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup small diced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 (15 oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can fire roasted tomatoes, slightly drained
- 2 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and add olive oil, onion, bell peppers, carrot, celery and a pinch of salt. Cook veggies until starting to soften, 5-7 minutes, and then add garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the black beans, tomatoes and all the spices. Stir well and then add in the vegetable broth, stir again and then cover soup and let simmer for about 15 minutes. You can cook longer though.
- To puree soup, you can either use an immersion blender and puree right in the pot or you can transfer soup to a blender and blend until smooth. Just make sure to be extra careful because soup is hot.
- Enjoy with your favorite toppings or refrigerate or freeze until later.
If you want a chunkier soup you don’t have to puree it. Just enjoy it as is.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Category: Vegan, Lunch, Dinner
- Method: Stovetop, Blender
- Cuisine: American/Mexican
Keywords: Vegan Black Bean Soup
I love thick, hearty soup when the weather turns cold, and this is my new favorite recipe! It is so easy to make and so delicious! I add whatever veggies I find in the fridge, and it always tastes great. When I find myself craving this soup, I know it’s time to make another big potful.
She Likes Food says
Yah! So glad you enjoy it!!