These Vegan Breadsticks are crispy on the bottom and soft in the middle. They’re buttery and seasoned with herbs and vegan parmesan cheese! Perfect for a dinner appetizer or snack!
I haven’t eaten at Pizza Hut in years but their breadsticks were always my favorite. They were greasy and crispy on the bottom and soft on the inside. I know they weren’t healthy at all, but I still loved them 🙂 These days, my kids prefer breadsticks more than pizza so I thought I would try my hand at making the best Vegan Breadsticks at home!
I’m not saying that these ones are necessarily healthy, but they’re definitely healthier than the Pizza Hut version! These delicious vegan breadsticks are easy to make and will become a new staple on pizza night!
Vegan Breadstick Recipe Ingredients
- Pizza Dough – I don’t have my own recipe for regular pizza dough on my site but I do have a great Gluten Free Pizza Crust recipe that would work if you’re gluten free. I used this super quick and easy pizza dough recipe from Joy Food Sunshine and it worked great but you can use either homemade pizza dough or store-bought. Trader Joe’s has some nice pre-made pizza dough.
- Vegan Butter – I usually use Earth Balance brand vegan buttery spread but any dairy free butter will work! It is important that you use a vegan butter rather than an oil for taste purposes.
- Seasoning – I seasoned with salt, dried Italian seasoning (I love herbs de Provence) and granulated garlic. Granulated garlic and garlic powder are very similar but I prefer the taste and texture of granulated garlic.
- Vegan Parmesan – I make my own vegan parmesan by using a 1:1 ratio of cashews and nutritional yeast blended in the food processor with a pinch of salt and granulated garlic. You can also usually find store-bought vegan parmesan cheese at health food stores.
How To Make The Best Vegan Breadsticks!
These vegan breadsticks are so easy to make and don’t take much time at all!
- I start by preparing the pizza dough. You can use store-bought to make it super easy or you can make your own. Just keep in mind that some pizza dough does need to rise for about an hour so you might want to make it ahead of time.
- Use about 1-2 tablespoons of softened vegan butter to rub all over a large sheet pan. You want to make sure the pan is evenly coated on the bottom and on the sides.
- Press your pizza dough onto your baking tray and get it as close to the edges as you can. You can make them as thin or as thick as you want but that will affect the baking time. I roll out my vegan breadsticks to about 1/4 inch thick.
- Use a sharp knife, or pizza cutter, and cut the dough into thin breadsticks.
- Add the vegan butter, salt, granulated garlic and dried herbs to a small saucepan and cook until butter is melted and comes to a small simmer. Brush the melted butter mixture all over the pizza dough.
- Bake breadsticks until dough is cooked through and the bottom is lightly browned, 15-20 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle the parmesan cheese over the breadsticks, evenly.
- Serve with marinara sauce and enjoy!
Vegan Bread Stick Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I make these vegan breadsticks gluten free? Yes! You would just need to use gluten free pizza dough. I have a great gluten free pizza dough recipe here!
- Can I make these ahead of time? You can make them ahead of time. I would just suggest re-heating them before eating them.
- Can I make these non-vegan? Just use regular butter and regular parmesan cheese!
- Can I freeze these vegan bread sticks? Yes, you can freeze them. I would recommend freezing in an airtight container for up to 3 months. To re-heat, bake from frozen.
Have a question that I didn’t answer? Ask me below and I’ll get back to you ASAP!