This Vegan Orange Tofu Recipe is my take on a vegan version of Panda Express orange chicken! It’s so flavorful and perfect for a kid friendly weeknight dinner!
Remember that Healthy Orange Sauce Recipe I posted a few days ago? Well, we are putting it to use today! I combined it with my Crispy Tofu Recipe and am excited to share this Vegan Orange Tofu with you today!
When I was in college I’m embarrassed to admit how much orange chicken I consumed from Panda Express. But, now that I’m older, not eating meat and trying to eat healthier I decided to make a vegetarian version! It turned out great so I hope you enjoy it too 🙂
There Are Two Parts To This Vegan Orange Tofu Recipe
First you make the crispy tofu. I’ve been obsessed with this crispy tofu recipe ever since I started make it a few months ago. It’s really easy to make and you will be surprised at how crispy your tofu gets just by baking it in the oven. I usually use arrowroot powder when making my tofu since that’s what I have on hand, but I’ve read that if you’re mixing your crispy tofu with a sauce, it’s best to use cornstarch because it will make the tofu not feel slimy once combined.
The second part is making your orange sauce. You just combine all the sauce ingredients together and then thicken it up in a pan over medium heat. Once sauce is thickened and coats the back of a spoon, you can add your crispy tofu and mix together. You just need to mix it until tofu is heated through, which shouldn’t be too long if you’ve just taken it out of the oven.
I enjoyed my vegan orange tofu on top of some white rice, but you could also use cauliflower rice, brown rice, quinoa or any other grain you like. I also added some sesame seeds and green onion.
This orange tofu recipe is great for a weeknight meal or you can use it for meal prep like I did with this recipe. It’s also super kid friendly! My son loves oranges and tofu so he is always excited when I make this for dinner.
Recipe Tips for Vegan Orange Tofu
- If you don’t want to take the time to crisp the tofu in the oven you can always just cook it in a pan instead. If doing this, you can add the orange sauce to the pan once tofu is almost finished cooking.
- If you don’t like tofu, you could sub tempeh or chickpeas.
- The tofu doesn’t stay super crispy as leftovers but I think it has a nice chew to it and I still enjoy it the next day. It’s best if you can heat it back up.
This Vegan Orange Tofu is perfect for an exciting weeknight dinner that is so easy to make!
- 1 (14 oz) container extra firm tofu, patted dry and pressed for at least 15 minutes
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil, or your favorite oil
- 1 teaspoon tamari, or soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1/2 cup orange juice, I like to use fresh squeezed
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons low sodium tamari
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- re-heat oven to 400 degrees F. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the sesame oil, tamari, garlic powder, maple syrup and vinegar.
- Cut the pressed tofu into bite sized pieces and place in the oil mixture. Use a spoon or spatula to stir the tofu and make sure it’s completely coated. Next, sprinkle over 1 teaspoon of the arrowroot powder and mix well until all the tofu is coated. Then, sprinkle on the remaining teaspoon of arrowroot powder and give a gentle mix just until you can’t see the dry white powder anymore.
- Line a large baking sheet with a non-stick mat or parchment paper. Pour the tofu and and arrange it so that none of the pieces are touching each other. Bake tofu for about 25-30 minutes, until golden and crispy, stirring 2-3 times during the baking. Let tofu sit for a few minutes to crisp up even more.
- Add all orange sauce ingredients to a jar or bowl and whisk until combined. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and pour in orange sauce. Cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Add crispy tofu and mix together. Enjoy over rice, if desired.