These Easy Black Bean Tostadas are topped with homemade refried beans and fresh pico de Gallo and avocado. They’re fresh, flavorful and perfect for lunch or dinner!
Back Bean Tostada Ingredients and Substitutions
- Corn Tortillas – You can buy a bag of tostada shells at most grocery stores, or you can make your own by brushing the front and back of a corn tortilla with a small amount of olive oil and baking in the oven until perfectly crisp.
- Pico De Gallo – I love to make my own pico de Gallo but you can also buy pre-made pico at the store, or just use regular salsa.
- Avocado – I made these black bean tostadas vegan so I added the avocado for some extra creaminess. You can use avocado or guacamole.
- Refried Beans – I made a version of homemade refried beans that I will talk more about below. They have extra veggies and flavor in them but you can also use a can of store-bought refried beans.
I made these tostadas vegan but you can certainly add cheese, or even dairy free cheese, if you like!
How To Make Homemade Refried Beans
This is my version of refried beans, they aren’t traditional but they’re tasty!
- Start by heating a pan over medium heat and adding a small amount of olive oil. Next, add your onions and peppers and cook until softened.
- Add the garlic, cook for another minute and then add the black beans and spices. Cook until the beans are heated through and then turn the heat off.
- Let the mixture cool for a few minutes and then add to a food processor, or blender and blend until desired smoothness is reached.
- Store refried beans in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days, or freeze for up to 6 months.
How To Make Easy Black Bean Tostadas
These tostadas are so easy to assemble!
- Prepare your tostadas: If using store-bought you can just lay them out on the baking sheet. If making your own, pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lay your corn tortillas down on a large sheetpan and brush each side with a little olive oil. Bake in the oven until nice and crispy.
- Prepare your refried beans: If using store-bought, open your can and give them a good mix to break them up a little bit. If making your own refried beans, follow the directions above.
- Prepare your pico de gallo: add all pico ingredients to a bowl and mix until combined.
- Assemble your Black Bean Tostadas: Lay your tostada onto a plate and top with your warmed refried beans. Next, top with the avocado and pico. Garnish with fresh cilantro and enjoy!
Recipe Frequently Asked Questions
- Is this recipe gluten free? Yes, as long as you use gluten free tortillas.
- Can I use store-bought refried beans? Yes!
- Can I add cheese? Of course!
- Can I make these black bean tostadas ahead of time? I wouldn’t recommend making them too far in advance, because even though the tostadas are crispy, the refried beans can make them soft if they sit for a while. You can, however, make all the components ahead of time and assemble when ready to eat.
Have a question I didn’t answer? Ask me in the comment section below and I will get back to you ASAP!
Looking For More Easy Vegan Mexican Inspired Recipes?Print