These Crispy Tofu Nuggets are the perfect vegan/vegetarian substitute for chicken nuggets! Kids and adults love them and they’re easy to make!
Last week I shared my Crispy Tofu Sandwich recipe with you and today I’m sharing these Crispy Tofu Nuggets! It’s the same concept but the tofu is cut into little squares and they get super crispy in the oven. The kids and husband both love them and they’re great for dipping.
These Crispy Tofu Nuggets can be served as a meal or an appetizer. I like to dip them in ketchup or honey/maple mustard and eat them as a protein packed snack.
What You’ll Need To Make These Crispy Tofu Nuggets
- Tofu – You will need to use extra firm tofu that has been pressed for at least 15 minutes. I usually don’t bother pressing my tofu if I’m just making a stir fry but it’s important that these tofu nuggets are super firm and you get as much water out of the tofu as you can.
- Plant based milk and flour – Instead of dipping the tofu into eggs to help the Panko coating stick, I made an easy batter mixing together flour and almond milk with some spices. It’s nice and thick and perfect for allowing the bread crumbs to stick.
- Breadcrumbs – I like to use panko breadcrumbs for this Tofu Nugget recipe because the panko makes them extra crispy. You could also use regular bread crumbs or even crumbled up crackers if that’s all you have.
Tofu Nugget Recipe
Tofu is pretty bland raw, just by itself. I wanted these crispy tofu nuggets to be super flavorful so before I breaded them I cooked them in a skillet with a little bit of oil, tamari and spices. This allows the flavors to really get into the tofu so it’s not just the breading that has the flavor. If you don’t want to use any oil you could also marinate the tofu beforehand but I like cooking it because it seems to really seal in those flavors.
I do also season the batter and bread crumbs and I feel like when you season every layer it really makes it pop in your mouth!
Enjoy more vegan tofu recipes here:Print
These Crispy Tofu Nuggets are super flavorful and easy to make! Great for a snack, appetizer or lunch!
- 1 (14 oz) package extra firm tofu, pressed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 teaspoons tamari or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon onion powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour, or gluten free
- 1/3 cup plain plant based milk, I used almond
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Dice the tofu into bite size pieces. Heat a large pan over medium heat and add oil and tofu. Cook for about 3 minutes and then add in the tamari, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder and garlic powder. Flip tofu and try to make sure it’s all coated with the tamari and seasonings. Cook for another 2-3 minutes and turn the heat off. Let cool for a few minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, milk and remaining garlic and onion powder. Add the tofu to the batter and toss to coat. Next, pour in the panko, paprika and salt and mix until each piece of tofu is coated with breadcrumbs. Dump the tofu out on a large sheet pan coated with parchment paper or a non-stick mat and make sure no pieces are touching.
- Bake tofu until crispy on all sides, flipping once, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and enjoy with your favorite dipping sauce.