If you’re new to cooking tofu and you’re looking for an easy recipe that goes well with so many different dishes, you’re going to want to bookmark this Easy Pan Fried Tofu Recipe! I’ve been making it since I was a kid and it’s my go-to tofu recipe when I need something easy, flavorful and delicious!
If you’re new to cooking tofu, but you’re a little intimidated, or you just want an easy way to cook tofu that comes out delicious every time, you’ve got to try this Easy Pan Fried Tofu Recipe! This Easy Pan Fried Tofu has been my go-to tofu recipe for decades and my kids happen to love it also!
I have tons of tofu recipes on my site, but at the end of the day, this golden brown pan fried tofu is most likely what I’m making. This tofu is not only easy to make, but it can also be used in so many different ways. Add it to a stir fry, snack on it with peanut sauce, or add to rice, veggies or noodles. It’s just flavorful enough that you can eat it by itself, but it’s also able to take on other flavors well if you want to mix it with a stir fry sauce.
Easy Pan Fried Tofu Recipe Ingredients
- Tofu – These days, I pretty much only use the Super Firm, High Protein tofu that you can get at Trader Joe’s or Sprouts. It’s great because it comes pre-pressed, so it’s ready to go right away and it has a nice, almost chewy, texture. If you can’t find super firm tofu, I would recommend using extra firm or firm and making sure to press as much liquid out of it as you can.
- Oil – I just used olive oil to cook my tofu in, but you can use any kind of oil you prefer. You can also go as light or as heavy with the oil as you like.
- Soy Sauce – Soy sauce or tamari can be used for this tofu recipe. I personally like tamari because it’s thicker and more flavorful, but regular soy sauce will work great too.
- Granulated Garlic – Granulated garlic is totally optional, but a great addition if you love garlic. You could also add fresh garlic too, I use wanted to make it as easy as possible!
- Salt – The soy sauce does add saltiness to the recipe, but I also like to add just a pinch of regular salt to round things out. It’s totally optional though.
How to Make The Easiest Tofu Recipe
- Remove tofu from the packaging and drain all the liquid off of it. Pat tofu dry and cut it into bite sized pieces. If you’re using extra firm or firm tofu, you will want to press it for at least 15 minutes to ensure most of the liquid is pressed out. This will give it a better texture.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add 2-3 teaspoons olive oil. Next, add the tofu and the soy sauce. Mix everything together and let cook for a couple minutes without touching the tofu at all. This will allow the tofu to brown nicely. Flip tofu and cook for another 5-10 minutes, until all sides of tofu are browned. I like to add the granulated garlic when the tofu is about 2-3 minutes from being finished.
- Sprinkle cooked tofu with a little bit of salt and serve anyway you desire.
Tofu Recipe Frequently Asked Questions
- Is Tofu Gluten Free? Yes, tofu is made from soybeans, so there is no gluten in it.
- Is this recipe vegan? Yes!
- What kind of tofu should be used? These days, I pretty much only use super firm tofu that has already been pressed. It has extra protein and I just really prefer the firm texture it has. If you can’t find super firm tofu, I would recommend using extra firm and pressing as much liquid out of it as you can. Firm tofu could also be used if that is what you have on hand.
- How should this pan fried tofu be used? I like to add it to bowls with rice, veggies, pasta or salads. You can mix it with stir fry sauce and serve with noodles. I also enjoy just snacking on it and dipping it into peanut sauce.
Have a question I didn’t answer? Ask me in the comment section below and I will get back to you ASAP!