These Lemon Tahini Chickpea Salad Pitas are so flavorful and delicious! They’re packed with tons of heathy ingredients and great for an easy vegan lunch.
I have shared a lot of chickpea recipes in the past and this Lemon Tahini Chickpea Salad is one of my all time favorites! Tahini and chickpeas are a classic flavor combo and the lemon, dijon and fresh herbs help to elevate all the other ingredients.
This Lemon Tahini Chickpea Salad is great because it’s one of those recipes you can easily customize. You can use whatever veggies you have on hand and add as much garlic and lemon juice as you like.
Lemon Tahini Chickpea Salad Ingredients
- Chickpeas – I just used one can of chickpeas. I like to use the low sodium kind and drain and rinse them before mashing. You can also use home cooked chickpeas if you have them on hand. If you can’t find chickpeas anywhere, white beans or crumbled tofu can be substituted.
- Vegetables – This recipe is great because you can easily customize it to use your favorite veggies or what you have on hand. I used tomato, celery, cucumber, onion, carrot and kalamata olives.
- Tahini – Tahini is a paste made of sesame seeds. It’s used in a lot of middle eastern recipes and I love making dressings with it. For this chickpea salad I used tahini in place of mayo and it was great! If you can’t find tahini, you can use mayo or a plain yogurt.
- Lemon Juice – Lemon and tahini go together really well and the lemon juice also helps thin the tahini out. I like to use fresh lemon juice, but vinegar would also work.
- Garlic – I used two cloves of fresh, minced garlic because I love garlic, but you can go easy on the garlic if you like. Or use even more 🙂
- Fresh Herbs – Fresh herbs help brighten up any recipe they’re added to and I love them in this chickpea salad. I used fresh dill and parsley but any herbs would be great!
- Salt and Pepper – To taste.
How To Make The Best Chickpea Salad Pitas
These Lemon Tahini Chickpea Salad Pitas are so easy to make and don’t require any cooking!
- Drain and rinse your chickpeas and then add them to a large bowl. Use a fork, or potato masher, to roughly mash them.
- Next, add all of your vegetables to the chickpeas and mix everything together.
- Add in the garlic, fresh herbs, tahini, lemon juice and salt and pepper. Mix well, give it a taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- To make your chickpea salad pitas: warm your pita on the stove for a minute or two. Place pita on a plate and top with a few spoonfuls of the lemon tahini chickpea salad.
- This salad can also be enjoyed just by itself, with chips, crackers or a lettuce wrap.
Recipe Frequently Asked Questions
- Is this recipe vegan? Yes!
- Is this recipe gluten free? It is gluten free if you use gluten free pita bread.
- What can I use in place of tahini? Mayo or plain yogurt can be used in place of tahini.
- Can I use different veggies than the recipe calls for? Of course, use any vegetables you like.
- How long will this lemon tahini chickpea salad stay good in the refrigerator for? It will stay good for about 3-4 days.
Have a question I didn’t answer? Ask me in the comment section below and I’ll get back to you ASAP!