This Teriyaki Stir Fry with Broccoli and Chickpeas is so easy to make and you might be surprised at how much your child will love it! It’s great for a vegan family dinner!
Does your child like broccoli? I feel like broccoli is the quintessential vegetable that you think of when you think of something kids don’t like. But, thankfully I have found quite the opposite! I asked my three year old what kind of recipe I should make for the blog and he said, “Something with broccoli and chickpeas.” so I came up with this Teriyaki Stir Fry and he at so much! He even asked for more broccoli 🙂
I make teriyaki stir frys a lot because they’re so easy to make and great for when you have a bunch of vegetables that need to be used up. I always have the ingredients on hand for my go-to stir fry sauce and the kids love it.
Teriyaki Stir Fry Recipe Ingredients
- Broccoli – You can use fresh or frozen. I usually have fresh broccoli on hand but if you don’t, frozen is great too.
- Chickpeas – I just used one can of pre-cooked chickpeas. You could also use another bean you like, tofu or tempeh. I like to use canned beans because they help make this recipe super quick to make.
- Teriyaki Sauce – To make this recipe even easier you could always use a good quality store-bought teriyaki sauce but it’s also so easy to make at home! My teriyaki sauce recipe just has a few ingredients, including: toasted sesame oil, tamari, maple syrup, water, ginger, garlic and cornstarch.
How To Make Teriyaki Stir Fry
This recipe is so easy to make! There are just a few simple steps:
- Start by sautéing the broccoli in a little bit of oil with some salt. You then add in a little bit of water to help the broccoli steam.
- To make the teriyaki sauce al you do is add all the sauce ingredients to a jar and mix until completely combined.
- Then, add the sauce mixture and the chickpeas to the broccoli and cook until sauce thickens and will coat the back of a spoon.
- Serve broccoli and chickpea mixture over rice, or your favorite grain and enjoy!
Why Kids Will Love This Teriyaki Stir Fry
I obviously can’t say 100% that your children will like this meal, but if you’re trying to get them to eat more veggies, this stir fry is a good way to do that!
- The broccoli is cooked until it’s soft so it’s easy for little teeth to eat, unlike raw broccoli.
- The teriyaki sauce is sweet and flavorful, which I’m pretty sure is my son’s favorite thing about it 🙂
- I serve it over rice, which is usually a favorite of all kids! You could also serve it over cauliflower rice, my son can’t even tell the difference.
- My son loves chickpeas so he gets excited about eating anything with chickpeas in it!
This Teriyaki Stir Fry with Broccoli and Chickpeas is so versatile. You can add in any veggies you have that your children enjoy. If you child doesn’t like chickpeas, you could easily substitute tofu or chicken. I also love to use this recipe as a meal prep lunch for my husband and I. I hope you and your family enjoys this!