This Teriyaki Tofu Stir Fry is made with just 5 items all from Trader Joe’s! It’s affordable, easy to make and comes together in about 20 minutes. Perfect for a busy weeknight dinner that also happens to be vegan!
Hi! I’m so excited about this new post today! I am starting a new series where I share recipes that are made with just 5 ingredients from Trader Joe’s! I realize that not everyone has access to Trader Joe’s, but I hope those of you who do, really enjoy this new 5 Ingredient Trader Joe’s series! First up: Teriyaki Tofu Stir Fry!
I got this idea from my friend, Natalie, who blogs kept recipes over at Tastes Lovely. I just think it is such a great idea because sometimes even making an “easy” 30 minute dinner from scratch is just too much. I love Trader Joe’s because they have so many affordable products that are pre-made and don’t require much cooking at all.
Tofu Teriyaki Stir Fry Ingredients
- Tofu – I used the Trader Joe’s super firm tofu. Super firm tofu is my favorite because it doesn’t require much pressing at all and holds it’s shape and texture really well. If you can’t find their super firm tofu I would suggest extra firm or firm.
- Asian Style Stir Fry Veggies – I was super excited to see this product! I make a lot of vegetable stir fry but I usually end up spending money on lots of different types of vegetables that I just use a little bit of. It was nice to see a pre-packaged vegetable stir fry mix that included everything I would want to add to a stir fry. I did end up dicing up a few of the vegetables since some were in pretty large pieces but it was really easy!
- Soyaki Sauce – This sauce was so good! I was a little worried at first since it’s advertised mostly as a marinate rather than stir fry sauce. I usually add corn starch to my homemade stir fry sauce so that it thickens up, but this worked pretty perfectly! I ended up using it to simmer and steam the vegetables in and although it didn’t thicken up like my regular sauce it coated everything really nicely.
- Rice – I’ve never bought frozen rice before but I was really impressed! The box came with 3 bags and and I just had to microwave the bag for 3 minutes and the rice came out perfectly cooked. It wasn’t gummy or undercooked at all. I make my own rice a lot, but definitely love this really quick and easy option!
- Green Onions – I love to add fresh herbs to my meals so I felt like green onions were the perfect addition to this teriyaki tofu stir fry. You could really use any fresh herb you like, or even chopped up cashews or peanuts would be good.
How To Make Teriyaki Tofu Stir Fry
This is probably one of the easiest dinners I’ve ever made! There are just a few easy steps:
- Start by heating a large pan over medium heat and adding a teaspoon or two of olive oil. Dice the tofu into bite size pieces and add to the hot pan. Cook tofu until browned on all sides, 5-7 minutes.
- Add in the stir fry veggie mix and 1/2 cup – 1 cup of the Soyaki Sauce. Stir everything together and then cover with a lid and cook for 10-12 minutes, until veggies are softened, stirring occasionally.
- Microwave the rice packets and add about 1/2 cup of rice to each bowl. Spoon the tofu veggie soyaki mixture over the rice and top with freshly chopped green onions.
Recipe Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I make this recipe if I don’t have a Trader Joe’s? Yes! Just use a homemade or store-bought teriyaki sauce and your own diced stir fry veggie mix.
- How should I store this Teriyaki Tofu? I would recommend storing in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
- Can I use something other than tofu If I don’t eat soy? Chickpeas would work great! I would add them at the same time as I add the veggies.
Have a question I didn’t answer? Ask me in the comments below and I’ll get back to you ASAP!