These Vegan Breakfast Sandwiches are easy to make, can be made ahead of time and you can customize them with your favorite sandwich ingredients!
Whether you’re already vegan, doing Veganuary or if you just like to eat vegan food sometimes (like me!), these Vegan Breakfast Sandwiches are for you! They’re made with chickpea flour plus lots of delicious seasonings and they’re the perfect way to start the day.
I’ve experimented a lot with tofu when making vegan breakfast items, but this is the first time I’ve used chickpea flour. Chickpea flour has a little bit more of a taste than tofu, but when you add some seasonings it works really well!
Vegan Breakfast Sandwich Recipe Ingredients and Substitutions
We’ll talk a little bit more about customizing your sandwiches below, but here are the main ingredients in the vegan egg patties:
- Chickpea Flour – Chickpea flour is made with ground up chickpeas/garbanzo beans. It’s used a lot in Indian cooking and contains lots of protein and fiber. I’ve seen it most used in vegan egg recipes, such as vegan quiche because when mixed with liquid and cooked, it holds together really well. I buy mine online but it can also be found in most natural food stores.
- Nutritional Yeast – I always use nutritional yeast in my vegan egg recipes. It has a nice cheesy flavor and it’s also yellow in color so that helps too! If you do a lot of vegan cooking you are probably already familiar with it. If not, I would not suggest leaving it out because it really does add so much flavor.
- Black Salt – I recently started using black salt when making vegan egg recipes. It’s pink salt but turns black when you heat it up. It has a really eggy/sulfery flavor that reminds me of actual eggs. I buy mine online and it lasts quite a while.
- Non-Dairy Milk – I like to use an unsweetened almond or oat milk for this recipe. You could also use water if you don’t have any milk on hand.
- Seasonings – Other seasonings I like to add to my vegan egg patties are granulated garlic, turmeric, curry powder and salt and pepper. You can always experiment with your own choice of seasonings!
How To Make The Best Vegan Egg Patties
These vegan egg patties are SO easy to make, and then you can have fun deciding how to enjoy them!
- You start by adding the chickpea flour to a medium sized bowl and then adding in all your dry spices. Mix together and then add in your milk. Mix again and you should get a mixture that resembled pancake batter. The thicker it is, the more dense the egg patties will be. You want a consistency that is on the thinner side but will still hold its shape when you pour it into a pan.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add a small amount of olive oil or vegan butter. I like to use a 1 tablespoon scoop to make little round circles with the batter in the pan. I like to make mine about the size of an English muffin so they fit well.
- Cook for about 1-2 minutes on each side, it really doesn’t take long since they are pretty thin. You can either use them immediately or store them in the refrigerator or freezer until ready to use.
Customizing Your Vegan Breakfast Sandwiches
You can customize your breakfast sandwiches anyway you like! Here are a few ideas to give you some inspiration:
- Bread – English muffins, toast, biscuits, bagels, tortillas, hash browns
- Sauces/Spreads: Ketchup, guacamole, pesto, salsa, hot sauce, refried beans, aioli, vegan cream cheese
- Toppings: Pickled onions, avocado, tomato, vegan sausage patty, vegan bacon, lettuce, vegan cheese
What are your favorite breakfast sandwich toppings?!
Vegan Egg Sandwich Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the egg patty made of? It is primarily made with chickpea flour with some plant based milk and spices.
- Is it soy free? Yes, garbanzo bean flour is soy free.
- Are these gluten free? Yes, the egg patties themselves are gluten free and made with chickpea flour. Just make sure to use your favorite gluten free bread.
- Can I make these patties ahead of time? Yes, you can make them ahead of time and store either in the refrigerator or freezer until ready to use.
- How should I re-heat these vegan egg patties? I usually use the microwave but you could also re-heat in a pan with a little oil or butter.
- Can I freeze assembled breakfast sandwiches? It really depends on what you have put on them. I wouldn’t freeze with toppings like avocado, onion or tomato. Best to freeze with just the egg patties, bread, any vegan sausage or cheese you’re using, heat up and then add fresh toppings.
Have a question I didn’t answer? Ask me in the comments below and I will get back to you ASAP!
Looking For More Vegan Breakfast Recipes?
Easy Crispy Breakfast Potatoes
Detoxifying Green Smoothie RecipePrint
Vegan Breakfast Sandwiches
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 10 1x
- Diet: Vegan
These Vegan Breakfast Sandwiches are easy to make, flavorful and the perfect way to start the day!
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon black salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste if needed
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon plant based milk
- Optional sandwich breads: English muffin, bagel, toast, tortillas, hash brown patties, etc.
- Optional sandwich spreads: ketchup, pesto, guacamole, hot sauce, aioli, salsa, etc.
- Optional sandwich toppings: avocado, pickled onions, tomato, vegan cheese, vegan sausage, etc.
- Add the chickpea flour and all the seasonings to a medium sized bowl and mix well. Next, add the milk and mix again until you have a batter that resembled pancake batter. If it’s too thick your egg patties will be dense, so you want it to be on the thinner side. You can also make one patty and then adjust with either more flour or more milk if needed.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add a small amount of olive oil or butter. Use a large spoon or 1 tablepoon scoop to add the batter to your pan. You want to make them about the size of the bread you are using for your sandwich.
- Cook for about 1-2 minutes on each side, until they are golden brown and cooked through. You can enjoy them immediately or refrigerate/freeze for later.
Nutritional information is for the vegan egg patties only, not the entire breakfast sandwich because ingredients will vary for each person.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Category: Breakfast, Vegan
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Vegan Breakfast Sandwiches
*This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting She Likes Food!
Your article says to use a 1 Tablespoon scoop, but the recipe says 1 teaspoon. 😉
She Likes Food says
Fixed it! Thanks!!
I’m so excited to find this recipe – I just bought chickpea flour because i found a recipe for an Indian crepe made with it. And I also bought nutritional yeast a while ago, on impulse, and it’s just been sitting there because I had no idea what to do with it! Really looking forward to trying this!
She Likes Food says
Awesome!! I hope you enjoy it!