These Open Faced Vegan Falafel Pitas are so easy to make and use just 5 ingredients from Trader Joe’s! They’re so delicious and great for lunch or dinner!
I’m back with another 5 Ingredient Trader Joe’s recipe! We have been making these Vegan Falafel Pitas for a few months now and they are so good! We’ve also made them as wraps using the lavash flatbread and you can’t go wrong. They’re great for a super easy lunch or dinner and they’re so easy to make!
What I really love about these Trader Joe’s Vegan Falafel Pitas is that they’re very approachable and easy to make. At the end of the post I link to my falafel, hummus and vegan tzatziki sauce recipe, all homemade from scratch, which is super great if you have the time! But, it’s not always realistic to make your entire meal from scratch and these falafel pitas have amazing flavor and take much less time!
Vegan Falafel Pita Ingredients
- Pita Bread – I used TJ’s whole wheat pita bread and it worked great. I have also made vegan falafel wraps using their lavash flatbreads and it works really well too!
- Hummus – Trader Joe’s has tons of hummus flavors and you can use any kind you like! I love their smooth Mediterranean version but the regular hummus dip is usually my go-to.
- Falafel – As you can see in my photo above, I used their pre-made falafel balls. I like them because they’re super easy and you can just heat them easily in the microwave or oven. I know that they do have a lot of sodium though and they may not be the healthiest choice. Trader Joe’s also sells a falafel mix that you can just add water to and make your own falafels. Either will work!
- Lettuce – I love the butter lettuce! It doesn’t have a super strong taste and it’s nice and crunchy. TJ’s has tons of veggie and salad mixes though so you can use whichever one you like best!
- Tzatziki Sauce – I LOVE the vegan tzatziki sauce at Trader Joe’s! It’s creamy and flavorful and one of my favorite vegan products they sell!
How To Make Open Faced Falafel Pitas
- Start by heating up your falafels. I like to heat mine in the oven but if I’m short on time I just throw them in the microwave for a few minutes. Let falafels cool a few minutes and then chop into bite size pieces.
- Next, lay your pita bread down and spread evenly with a few spoonfuls of hummus.
- Top with your lettuce. I chopped up the butter lettuce so it would be in bite size pieces and easier to eat.
- Add the chopped up falafel (I use about 3 of them) and then top with a few spoonfuls of vegan tzatziki sauce. Cut your pita into four pieces so you can easily pick them up to enjoy!
How To Make These Falafel Pitas with Trader Joe’s
- You should be able to buy pita bread or flatbread at most grocery stores. You could also use a large tortilla to make a wrap instead of an open-faced pita.
- You can use any store-bought hummus you like, or you can make your own super creamy hummus using my favorite homemade hummus recipe here.
- Most stores carry a boxed falafel mix that you just need to add water to. They’re super easy to make and really good too! If you want to make falafel from scratch, I have this Easy Falafel Recipe here.
- Trader Joe’s is the only place I’ve seen a vegan tzatziki sauce sold, but you can make your own vegan version using my recipe for vegan tzatziki sauce that is so good!
Looking For More 5 Ingredient Trader Joe’s Recipes?
Spicy Potato Tacos with Black BeansPrint
Open-Faced Vegan Falafel Pitas
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Diet: Vegan
These Vegan Falafel Pitas are easy to make and so delicious! All the flavors of a traditional falafel pita but prepared in just about 15 minutes!
- 1 bag Trader Joe’s fully cooked falafel
- Trader Joe’s Whole Wheat Pita Bread Pockets
- Trader Joe’s hummus dip, you can use any kind of TJ’s flavored hummus
- 1 package butter lettuce, or your favorite TJ’s greens
- Trader Joe’s Vegan Tzatziki Sauce
- Optional garnishes: fresh herbs, red pepper flakes
- Heat your falafel. You can either heat them up in the microwave or the oven. Follow package directions. Let falafel balls cool a few minutes and then cut them into bite size pieces.
- Place a slice of pita bread on a plate and top with a few spoonfuls of hummus. Spread hummus out in an even layer.
- Top hummus with your lettuce/greens. I like to make sure they are chopped up into bite size pieces so the pitas are easier to eat. Top lettuce layer with your chopped up falafel and then add a few spoonfuls of the tzatziki sauce.
- Cut into slices so it’s easier to eat and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Vegan, Lunch, Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Vegan Falafel Pitas
Leave a Reply