This is the best Vegan Tzatziki Sauce Recipe! It’s easy to make, super creamy and full of flavor. This Tzatziki sauce goes great as a dip, dressing or spread.
Last summer I pretty much lived on pita bread, feta cheese, veggies and tzatziki sauce. I’ve always made a tahini lemon sauce to go with my Mediterranean inspired meals but tzatziki sauce has become a favorite in the summer time. This Vegan Tzatziki Sauce recipe is so good you can hardly tell there’s no dairy in it!
WHAT IS TZATZIKI SAUCE?
Tzatziki Sauce is a yogurt based Mediterranean dip, traditionally made with cucumber, dill, mint (optional) garlic, lemon juice and olive oil. It’s usually used as a dip or condiment. I love to enjoy it with falafel, pita bread and on salads.
VEGAN TZATZIKI SAUCE RECIPE INGREDIENTS
- Dairy Free Yogurt – You want to make sure you get a plain flavored yogurt so you don’t add any sweetener to the tzatziki sauce. These days there are a lot of dairy free yogurts to choose from. I used Oatly oat milk yogurt and it worked well.
- Hummus – Hummus is not a traditional ingredient in tzatziki but I added it to my vegan version because it thickens it up and makes it super creamy. It also adds some delicious flavor. You can either use homemade or store-bought hummus in this recipe. I used Cedar’s roasted garlic hummus and it I really love the flavor it added.
- Cucumber – I just used a regular cucumber but an English cucumber would work as well. Cucumber is a really important flavor in this dip so you don’t want to omit it!
- Lemon Juice – Fresh lemon juice is a must! Don’t use the store-bought lemon juice that comes in a little lemon container.
- Fresh Herbs – Dill and mint are traditionally used in this recipe. I used both since I have them in the garden but if you only want to buy one of them, I would suggest dill because it goes so well the cucumber.
- Garlic – I used two large cloves of garlic but you can use however much you want. I really like to raw garlic flavor in the sauce. I also like to grate my garlic on a microplane so it gets really incorporated rather than being minced chunks.
- Salt – Add salt to taste.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE TZATZIKI SAUCE
Tzatziki sauce is super easy to make! The hardest thing you will do is grate and squeeze the water out of the cucumber 🙂
- I like to start out by grating the cucumber. I use about 1/2 large cucumber and grate it on the large side of the box grater. I don’t like to have long pieces of cucumber in my sauce so I like to chop the cucumber up into little pieces. Then, you can put the cucumber into a clean dish towel and squeeze out as much liquid as you can.
- Next, add the yogurt and hummus to a medium sized bowl and stir until combined.
- Add in the strained cucumber, fresh herbs, garlic, lemon juice and salt and mix until everything is completely combined.
HOW TO USE YOUR VEGAN TZATZIKI SAUCE
There are so many delicious ways to enjoy your Vegan Tzatziki Sauce! Here are just a few ways I eat mine:
- A sauce for a falafel pita wrap
- A dip for pita bread, crackers or vegetables
- A sauce for a gyro sandwich
- A dressing for a salad
How do you like to enjoy your Tzatziki?
RECIPE FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- What kind of yogurt did you use? I used Oatly plain oatmilk yogurt. You just want to make sure you don’t use a yogurt that has any added sugar in it. You also want to make sure you enjoy the taste of the yogurt you use because some dairy free yogurt can have a strange taste.
- What kind of hummus did you use? I used Cedar’s brand roasted garlic hummus. It’s my favorite store-bought hummus and worked really well in this recipe.
- How should I store this dip? Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
- Can I freeze this? I haven’t frozen it myself yet, but I think it would freeze well. Just use an airtight container and you will have to give it a good mix once it’s thawed.
Have a question I didn’t answer? Ask me in the comments below and I’ll get back to you ASAP!
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS VEGAN CONDIMENT RECIPES?
CHECK OUT EXACTLY HOW I MAKE THIS VEGAN TZATZIKI SAUCE BELOW!Print
This is the Best Vegan Tzatziki Sauce Recipe! It’s perfectly creamy and flavorful and goes great as a sauce, spread or dressing!
- 1 cup plain dairy free yogurt, I used oat milk yogurt
- 1 cup hummus, I used garlic hummus and it worked great!
- 1/2 large cucumber
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
- Salt, to taste
- Grate the cucumber on the large side of a box grater. Optional step: use a knife to chop the cucumber into small pieces. Place the cucumber into a clean kitchen towel and squeeze as much liquid as you can out of it. Set aside.
- Add the yogurt and hummus to a medium sized bowl and mix until combined. Next, add in the lemon juice, garlic, fresh herbs, cucumber and salt (to taste). Mix until everything is completely combined.
- To serve: garnish with fresh herbs, cucumber slices and a drizzle of olive oil. Enjoy as a dip for pita bread or a sauce for falafel.